Chapter 5 Preparations

Soon after lunch, the four excited children, went upstairs to put their things together.Clara put a whole packet of choclates into her suitcase, in case there were no shops to buy some at Bill's old home, which was in Ohio, a very long drive from their home.Jack stuffed some packets of biscuits into his case. He often woke up at night and liked to nibble at some cookies at that time.
" Better take plenty of films with you
Jack, if you are thinking of photographing birds. I bet there won't be any place to buy them, where Bill lives. It's somewhere along the mountain side." Said Charles.
Mrs Hills came upstairs to see what they were packing.It was cold August and in that weather,the  children needed a fair amount of warm things.They had put in pullovers, jerseys and sweaters.
"I have found you some rugs, each.They are old. But they are very thick and warm and as good as two blankets.If Bill hasn't enough blankets for you, it won't matter at all, the rugs will give you plenty of warmth" said Mrs Hills.
"Everything's done now Aunt Hills" said Jenny" I wish tommorow would hurry up and come soon. Fancy flying in the dark in a plane of your own. I never in my life thought that i would do that.I hope it's a long way to Bill's house."
   "It sure is"said Mrs Hills" I'd better pack you some sandwiches and cakes to take with you for the journey. Because you are sure to get hungry, if you are to stay up late at night.Have you found a basket for Lili, Jack? And what about taking some food for her.
There's a new pack of sunflower seeds in the drawer. Don't forget to put it in your suitcase."
Jack found a good basket for Lili, with a lid that closed down. He set it on the table.Lili flew over to it in curiosity.She jumped  inside it and looked out cunningly.
" Clever bird"said Jack" You know that it's gonna be your travelling basket.
" Wipe your nose" said Lili, while pecking her beak at the corners of the basket
" Dont do that Lili, your gonna break it" she climbed out and flew to Jack's shoulder lovingly .
   The day went slowly, far too slowly for the children.The next day was even slower.By the time tea time came, the children felt that night would never come today.
But when supper time came, they became even more cheerful.The car was coming at quater past 10 to take them to the aerodrome.Than into the plane they would go and off into the darkness.Some how it felt far more thrilling to fly at a dark night , than during the day light.
The clock struck 10'0 clock.All the suitcases and rugs were taken down into the hall.Jack's camera was there too and a large packet of sandwiches and cake.Jack wore his field glasses on a strap over his shoulder.Lili's basket was in the hall too but she was still flying freely.She would not go in it by the very last moment.
"Here's the car", cried Charles, his sharp ear's picking up the purring of the engine.
"Come along, everyone.Good bye mother.Look after yourself well till we come back ."
" Good bye aunt Hills,we will be sure to send you a post card. Come on Lili get into your basket now"
She made a great fuss getting in.She too was excited by the excitement of all the children.It took quite a time to get her into the basket and shut the lid down.
Suitcases were loaded in the car.Good byes were said and soon the engine roared again. Atlast they were off.
" Now for the aerodrome. I thought that tonight would have never come.What's the time.Oh! We are a bit early. Very well, got the passes Jack."
" Clara's got them.They are in her bag"said Jack .
Clara fished them out.These were the passes that would take them inside the aerodrome and upto Bill himself.
It was a good way to the aerodrome.The night was dark and clouds covered the sky.A few drops of rain spattered the wind screen.
" Here' s the aerodrome at last." Cried Jack." Look at the pathways all lit  up.Take out te passes we have got to show them now."
They were shown to a man at the enterance of the aerodrome and allowed in.
" I will set you people down here and you can speak to your friend",said the taxi driver" Then I will run upto his plane and place your luggage near it for you.Have a good journey."
" Now we will find Bill"said Jenny"there he is. Look."
"Hi Bill!  We are here atlast."