Chapter 16 Safe In The Cave

They all peeped out between the ferns. Jenny held her breath. Yes, there were the two men, clambering about near the waterfall.
"But what are they doing down there?" Said Jack in wonder." Why look for us there? They must have known we didn't go that way, if they were following us."
"Well, they must have seen me waving to you from behind the waterfall." Said Clara" They must think that's where our hiding place is"
"Waving to us from behind the waterfall" said Charles in utmost amazement."What are you talking about Clara? You must be nuts."
"Well i'm not. That's where Jenny and i were, when you came up the slope there to climb into the cave. We were standing behind the waterfall and I tried my hardest to attract your attention and tell you that those two men were following you."
"But how in the world did you two get behind the waterfall?" Asked Jack
" It was an idiotic thing to do. Fancy climbing up those slippery rocks and gettig behind the water.You could  have been... "
" We didn't go that way,silly"said Clara " We went another way and then she told the boys all about the hole at the back of the cave that led into the cave of echoes and the passage that came out from vehind the waterfall. The boys listened with great amazement.
"Gosh, how extra ordinary" said Jack"Well, i suppose those men had caught sight of you up there and took their eyes off me and charles for a moment and lost us. We must have climbed through the ferns into this cave just the  very moment they were watching you. What a good thing."
"That's why they are messing about on those rocks" said Charles grinning" they think that that's where our hiding place is, behind the fall and they want to gt there and get us. They don't know that that isn't the right way. I can't understand how they can possibly get behind the water from any of those rocks in the front. If they are not jolly carefull, they will be swept off by the water."
Jenny shudered . "  I don't want to see them do that."she said and wouldn't peep out of the ferns anymore.
But Clara and the boys watched in glee.They felt safe up there in their fern hiddden cave. And it was fun to watch the two men slipping about on the rocks near the water, getting angrier and angrier.
Lili was still behind the waterfall. Watching them in great intesrest. Suddenly she gave one of her most dreadful crackles of laughter and the men heard it even through the roars of the water.They looked at one another, quite startled.
"Hear that" said Julian" somebody yelling their heads off at us. They are laughing on us. Wait till I get them. They must be still behind that sheet of water .How do they get there? "
But jt seemed impossible to the two men to get behind the water and they soon realised it after a number of attempts. They sat down on a ledge, a good way from the water. They were hot and angry and tbeir clothes were all soaked.
They were puzzled too. Where had those boys come from? Was there a whole group of people somewhere? Were they hiding in the mountains? No they could not do so, for they could have seen them, searching the countryside for food. There could be only a few people and they could have sent out the boys in search of food.
The children watched them in delight. There was something very enjoyable, in seeing their enemies at loss, in being able to see their every action and yet not be seen themselves.
Even Jenny now had a peep every now and then, knowing that they weren't going to fall from the rocks anymore.
"We would better go" said Julian atlast. " If that's their hiding place, they can keep it. We would better get someone here to help us. We could put him to guard this place . If he sat here, he could see anyone who would come here to go behind the water.Come on. I'm fed up with this."
They stood up. Jack watched them through the fern fronds. Were they going back to their hut? Then seeing that they were gonna pass very near to the cave, the boy hastily closed the fronds and pushed everyone back.
"Keep quite"he said" They may come fairly near."
They did come extremely near. They took a path thag led them right pass the cave. The children sat as still as stone, hearing the men scrambling along outside.
Suddenly the ferns swayed and shook and Jenny had to place a hand on her mouth to stifle a scream.
"They are coming in. They have found us" she thought and her heart almost stoped beating. The ferns rustled once more and then it was quite again. The footsteps passed and the voices of the men were heard saying something that the children could not hear.
"Have they gone?"wondered Clara. And looked at Jack for conformation.
He nodded. Yes they were gone but what a gerrible fright everyone had when they grasped hold of the ferns to help them along.
Little did the men dream that the four silent children sat within two feet of them at that moment.
Jack parted the ferns again. He was sure that the men had gone but he did not dare to go out and spy.
"Better lie low for a few moment" he advised the others" We will have a meal and then I will creep out and spy later on. I say where is Lili?"
      Nobody knew and then Clara rememnered that she had been with them behind the fall.They had gone back without her in the anxiety to warm the boys about the two men , so she must be still there.
"Blow, we would better go and fetch her." Said Jack "  I really don't feel like moving just now.I'm really tired with dragging that heavy sac along."
A voice spoke outside the cave, a gloomy dismal vokce.
"Poor Lili, All alone. Poor, poor Lili. What a pity. Poor pity. "
The children laughed and Jack parted the fronds cautiously, in case by any chance the men were still anywhere about. Lili clamberd through, looking very sorry for herself. She flew to Jack's shoulder and nibled on his ear gently.
"All aboard" she said more cheerfully now and cracked her beak. Clara ruffled the hairs on the back of her head.
"Lili must have flown out from behind the waterfall and came straight here" said Clara" She's a very clever bird".
Jack's tin opener came out again and a choice of tins and jars was made. There was a small tin of biscuits still to be finished and the children chose ham sandwiches to go with them along with a tin of juicy appricots.
    Jack opened the fronds just a little to allow some daylight in, so they could see properly. Once again they enjoyed their meal thoroughly and Lili got into trouble for taking more than her fair share of apricots.
  The children waited for some time before they dared to creep out of the cave. When the sun was almost down, Jack went out thtough the fronds and had a good look around. There was no sign of the men at all.
    Jack found a high place from which if he sat there, he could see for a good way in any direction.
   "We can take turns to keep watch" he told the others" You can come in half an hour Charles".
    They had a fine time clambering here and there. They found some wild raspberrries and ate a good amount of them . They were very delicious. Lili ate them too murmuring" Mmmm, Mmmmm" all the time.
   Each of them took turns to keep watch but their was nothing to be seen. The sun went behind the mountains and twilight came. They all went back to the cave.
   "It will be lovely to sleep here tonight" said Jenny pleased." This moss is so nice and soft like velvet."
  The girls placed down the rugs to lie on.
   "A drink of aprucot juice  and a few biscuits for everyone"said Jenny as they all sat down on their beds.Jack parted the ferns and tied them firmly back
   "Must have a little air in the cave" he said"It will get jolly suffocated with four off us here".
  "Five, don't forget Lili" said Clara.
   "Six, don't forget dear Liz too" said Charles taking out the little lizard.
  They finished eating and lied down. It was getting quite dark now. They all snuggled down in their cosy beds.
   "I could really enjoy all of this , if only i knew mother wasn't worried about us" said Charles" I havn't any idea where we are but it is a very beautiful place. Doesn't that waterfall sound lovely singing in the night"
" It's singing jolly loudly" said Jack yawning" but i don't think that it will keep me awake. Tomorrow Charles we must go to that cave of echoes the girls told us about and stand behind the waterfall. Fancy you gilrs having a little adventure all on your own."
   "Little, it was not little. It was a jolly big one, especially when we saw that we came out behind the water."
    Soon they all fell asleep. The waterfall roared all through the night without ceasing.
   Towards morning a throbbing noise awoke all the children. It penetrated into the cave,sounding even louder than the waterfall.Jack sat up at once, surprised. What could it be?
   The noise grew louder and louder . It seemed as if it was coming right down on their heads.
     Rrrrrrr, Rrrrrr, Rrrrr!
    "It's a plane" cried Jack" A plane come to rescue us. Out of the cave everyone , quick."
  They all tumbled out of the cave  and looked at the sky. A plane was climbing into the air getting higher and higher. It had come evidently very near the side of the mountain and had awakened them by it's noise.
   "A plane to rescue us" cried Charles scornfully" No it's the plane that we came in here. It's the men's plane, idiot"