Chapter 6 A Grave Mistake

Bill was talking to 2 or 3 men very earnestly. He waved to the children.
" Hello kids, I'm busy for a few minutes.You guys cut along the plane and wait for me.Stow your suitcases at the back, where mine is too.I'll be about 10 minutes or so." Said Bill Hurriedly.
" Right Bill",said Jack and the four of them moved off to place where the taxi man had droped their cases, besides an aeroplane not far away.
It was dark where the aeroplane stood but the children could see enough to pick up their cases.They climbed up the ladder and into the aeroplane.
The inside was in darkness and the children didn't knew how to put lights on.They felt their way to the back of the plane and put down their things.They put their rugs there too.
There was a large carate in the middle of the room.The children wondered what was in it.Was it full? Or was it empty?.It must be something Bill was taking back with him, thought everyone.
"It's blocking up all the inside part of the plane." Said Jack"We can't sit down properly with this thing here.Let's sit down at the back, where we have placed our rugs .We will be more comfortable there.Perhaps Bill will shift them aside,when he comes in the plane and tell us where he wants us to sit."
So the four kids sat down on their warm, comfy rugs and waited.There was so much noise of the plane's engines at the aeredrome, that it made very difficult to hear anything else clearly, though once Charles thought he heard someone shouting.
He went to the door and looked out but all he could see was darkness and Bill was no where to be seen.Where was he, thought the boy.
He went back to his place, yawning rather loudly.Jenny was almost half asleep."I wish Bill would come soon" said Clara" I shall fall asleep if he doesn't come now."
Then all of a sudden things begin to happen .In the darkness of the night,over and above the sounds of the engines, came the sounds of shots.
GUN SHOTS!!!
This made the children sit up in a hurry.Then another shot was sounded and then most surprisingly there came the noise of someone hurriedly climbing up the steps, into the plane and a man flung himself down in the control seat.Another followed behind.Panting badly, hardly to be seen in the darkness.
The children sat as if they were frozen to their spot.What in the world was happening? Was one of the man Bill? Who was the other man? And what was the hurry? They had so many questions but waited patiently, holding their long caught breaths. The first man took the controls of the plane and to children's amazement, it began to run forward.
They were off but why hadn't Bill still not spoken to them? Why hadn't he not atleast once looked around to see, if they were safely inside?
"Keep your mouth shut everyone"said Jack to the others, "If Bill does not want to speak to us, there must be a reason.Perhaps he doesn't want the other fellow to know that we are here.So keep quiet everyone."
The others noded in reply but said nothing, for the past events had put them all in a shock.
The plane soon rose high up in the air .It made it's way swiftly into the wind.
The man shouted out to one another but the children could hardly make out a word because of the immense noise the plane's engine was making.
They sat quiet and still, hidden from view by the big crate standing in the middl of the plane.
Bill said nothing to them at all.He didn't call out to know if they were there.He didn't send his companion along to see if they were alright.It was as if he took no notice of them at all.It was very queer and the kids didn't liked it a bit.
One of the man fiddled about and found a switch.He pulled it down and a light shown out, just by the men but the rest of the plane was still in darkness.
Charles peeped around the crate, meaing to catch Bill's eye, if he could.Almost at once , he came back to the others and sat down very quitely.He didnt say anything at all.
"What's up?" Asked Jack , sensing that Charles looked worried.
"You go and look around the crate" said Charles worriedly" Have a good look at the two men."

Jack went and peered around.He came back feeling puzzled and scared.
" Neither of these men is Bill. Gosh it's very strange"
"What do you mean?" Said Jenny in an alarm" One of them must be Bill.Why this is his plane afterall."
"Yes, But is it really?", asked Clara questiongly," Look where the light is shining on the corner of those seats. They are red and the one's in Bill's plane were green . I remember that jolly well"
"So they were" said Jack " gosh man we are in the wrong plane."
There was a long silence and no body knew what to think about it.They were in the wrong plane, not Bill's plane at all!!! The thought alone itself was very scary.
Two strange men sat at the controls. Men who would be extremely angry, If they found out some unexpected passengers.Neither Jack nor Charles liked the look of the men at all.They had actually seen the back of their head's and the side face of one man, when he had turned around to shout something to his companion.But neither of the boys had felt drawn to the two men.
" Oh God,this is awful"thought Jack"and there were those shots too, did they had anything to do with these men? They climbed into the plane in a such a hurry and took off at once.I do believe we have stumbled upon an adventure for sure."
Charles spoke cautiously to the others, for it was no good whispering because whispers could not be heard in such a noise.So Charles had to speak rather loudly and hope he would not be heard by the men.
" What are we gonna do now? We are in a wrong plane.It's the fault of that stupid taxi driver, who placed our luggage by the wrong plane.It was so dark that we couldn't possibly tell ourselves which plane was which."
Jenny sat as much close to Jack as she could, frightened badly.It was not nice to be high up in the air, lost in darkness and in the wrong aeroplane with men completely strangers.
"What can we do" thought Jack" we really are in a mess.God knows what will happen when the two men see us."
" They might throw us out" cried poor Jenny" and we have got no parachute things on. Oh Jack! Please don't let them know we are here."
"They will have to know sooner or later" said Clara" What idiots we are to get in a wrong plane"
There was an awkward silence and then Charles spoke up" Shall we stay here at the back of the plane, on our rugs and hope we shall not be noticed? Then when we arrive somewhere, we will slip out of the plane cautiosuly and look for help."
" Yes, that's the best idea right now.We are well hidden here, unless the men come around to the back of plane for something.Maybe we can escape without getting caught"said Jack looking rather worried.
"I did want to stay with Bill" cried Jenny" What will he be thinking?"
" He will be looking all over the aeredrome for us.I believe that must have been Bill I heard shouting, When I went to the door.He must have gone to his own plane and when he didn't found us there, He yelled for us.Gosh if only we would have gussed this at that time" said Jack.
" I hope mother won't be worried. We promised her that we would not get in any kind of trouble." Said Clara.
" I wonder where we are going to. I don't feel like I'm in a plane at all, as I can't look out and see the ground far below."said Jack.
The others felt the same.Jenny lied down on the rugs and said" I am going to sleep. I will only be worried ad frightened, if I kept awake."
" It's a rather good idea of yours" said Charles" Lets all lie down a bit. We are surely to wake up, if we arrive somewhere".
"Anyone want a sandwich or a bit of cake?" Asked Clara, remembering the picnic packet. But nobody did.The shock of their mistake had taken away their appetite completely.
Soon all were asleep except Jack .He laid awake thinking about everything.Why was Bill shouting? Who shot the gun? Were these men related to the secret Job Bill was upto? If so, it was important not to let them know that they had hidden passengers overboard.
Lili gave a screech in her basket. Jack jumped. He had fogotten about her.He tapped the basket and spoke
"Shut up Lili, don't make a noise, whatever you do. It's very important to be quiet. You hear me Lili stay quiet ,at all costs."
"Be quiet " yelled Lili from inside the basket.
She was quiet after that. She was a very mishevious little bird but she would always stay quiet whenever Jack wanted her to be. So she sat inside her basker, trying to tuck her head under her wing, so she could sleep aswell.But the loud sound of plane's engine upset her.She had never heard such a noise and she longed to intimate it but she couldn't because her beloved Jack wanted her to be quiet at the moment.
After a bit, the two men exchanged places at the control seat.The first one got up, yawned and stretched.He got up and Jack's heart almost stopped beating.Was he going to come to the back of the plane? He wondered whether or not to wake up the others.
The man stretched for a few moments, then lighted a pipe.Smoke drifted to the back of the cabin.Jack was very relieved to see the man sit down again.
Soon Jack fell asleep too. Only Lili kept awake, cracking her beak again and again, puzzled and wondering, whatever was this strange journey.
The plane flew in darkness, passing over towns, villages, countrysides, fields.Then just near dawn, it began to circle around more slowly.It dropped as it circled. And once banked so steeply that it almost made the kids roll over.This woke them up.They sat up at once wondering where they were.Once they remembered, they looked at each other wide eyed.
"We are going to land" said Charles excitedly" How shall we know, where we are? Look out for a quick escape as soon as we get the chance.Down we go, we are landing."
Their eyes twinkled in excitement.

AUTRTHOR'S NOTE:
Hello people.
How  are you guys doing?
Finally this part is up.
It took me a several hours to write this part and i promise you guys its one of  the most thriling part of the story and the actual beggining of the adventure.
I am really happy for all the response i am getting. I hope you people like my work and appreciate it.
Have a good day
Nimz