somewhat sickly-sweet reunion

*This follows the manga storyline/ the 2019 reboot now I guess too.

At first, having a second child was a cause for celebration for my mother. Finally a child she could embrace without fear of an obscene curse changing her child into something inhuman. Even if it were cursed, a daughter would be of no bother to my mother... or it shouldn't have been. Even if it were cursed, which I was.

What a terrible life that I was born into thereafter my dad's hands had held me.

In front of a fiery-haired woman and her daughter, before I'd hit double digits, I was panting and balling my troubles out. A runaway, I had to run and never look back.

I had to keep running. But happiness comes at a price, and it will never be free.

"Tohru-kun!" I cry out as I walk in the bleak and early morning, having had to take the train to her and late-night work in coordination with each other to make me yawn.

I'm not sure the woods is an ideal place—no, I absolutely know woods like these are no place for someone to be staying for more than a night at most, but my stubborn bigger sister—adoptive—refuses any other help. I myself have an apartment, and she refuses to move in. I can't understand it at all, but nothing good could come of force.

Your voice is still insignificant.

I stumble upon a clearing and my best guess is the only tent here is her home.

It is peaceful out here, but I don't want to be staying in that tent for much longer. It is a forest, so there could still be lurking dangers. How she managed to find this place in the middle of no where, I don't know.

Also I don't want to be outside in general. It's sweltering hot in our uniform, plus my classic pink sweater, and it almost tempts me to jump into the river flowing through the forest.

I stand, intimidatingly five feet, unkempt strawberry blonde hair in a ponytail, the roots growing out with the auburn tone and highlights trying desperately to blend. My large, brown eyes give away being a half. Like for instance, big, round eyes remarking the foreigner German in me and dark circles remarking my working nights. I don't appear that strong, with a short small frame, but I was once a Kendo champion and participated in Karate growing up. Now it's most club sport for me, being on the girls' softball team at school. Though my body still bothers me. I always wish I was taller, then I could be stronger too. I hope because I'm a year behind I'm still growing. My glasses also close to falling off my nose, but I'll put in the contacts once I get to school.

"Come on Tohru-kun, we'll be late if we don't get going soon," I warn, teetering on my toes and heels. "...Please."

"Go on ahead. I'll be fine," Tohru says and I sigh, walking on alone...

Really slowly. I wait a few seconds, then minutes. No Tohru. Was she lost? Was she distracted? Had she not even got up yet? I don't know what goes through Tohru's head! I worry for that girl.

I had invited her to come to stay with me in my little apartment, but she said no, not wanting to bother me. It wouldn't be a bother at all. Though it might be a bother to her, seeing how dirty it was. Not that I expected her to clean anything I just mean... Walking around would be a nightmare.

She exits out of the tent, catching up to me in a matter of three steps. Then we walk on together.

"Tohru-kun, I still really think you should come live with me," I nag. "This is no place for a girl to live all alone. You and your mother took me in when I was young, it's only right for a couple of months."

"I'm alright! Really! I don't want to burden you."

I sigh. "How many times do I have to tell you it's not a burden? I was a burden, I have to repay you. I owe you for taking care of me, I can't stand you living out here and going to work."