14: Tea Time

I plan to leave earlier than normal to get to Gray Forest High School by eight. It's not within walking distance of my apartment, which wouldn't be a problem if I hadn't procrastinated getting a car. Unfortunately, I never could find the energy to battle it out with some seedy car salesman, so I'm stuck taking the bus.

Just as I'm pouring hot water into a travel mug to make tea, a knock at the door surprises me. My hand jerks, spilling the water all over my arm. It soaks my sweater. Thankfully, the water isn't hot enough to cause any damage.

Someone knocks again. Who's here at seven in the morning? I reach the door in three quick steps and yank it open.

"Pookie!" Sean exclaims. His eyes are unnaturally bright for the early hour. In an attempt to appear casual, he leans against the door frame. In his free hand, there's a coffee cup with something indecipherable scrawled on it.

I'm in a foul mood from spilling water on myself and am in no mood for surprises. "Can't you think of your own nickname?" I grumble. "Pookie's weird."

My scowl only causes the grin on Sean's face to grow wider. He runs a hand through his curly hair as he thinks. "Snurpie? Blorko? Gorpie?" He leans more on the wall. "I can go on all day, you know."

"On second thought, stick with Pookie."

Once the surprise of seeing him fades, it hits me that I'm being an awful host by leaving him standing in the doorway. I gesture for him to come in. He looks longingly at my living room, but doesn't move. "I'm actually here to give you a ride to Gray Forest. I left a dog in the car, so we need to get going soon," he says.

I'm tempted to refuse his offer, but I really don't want to take the bus. I've just about had it with weird fans this week. It only takes me a minute to finish gathering my stuff. I glance between Sean in the open doorway and the kitchen, wondering if I have time to make more tea. Caffeine is a must this morning. Most mornings, actually. Scratch that-caffeine is a must every morning.

"The dog is probably sweating up a storm in the car, Sang." Sean holds up the drink in his hand. "This is for you, anyway. Let's go."

He shoves the cup into my hand. The herbal scent of bergamot tickles my nose. "How did you know I would need more tea?" I ask, flabbergasted.

He smirks. "I'm just awesome like that."

Everything clicks into place. "Owen's waiting in the car, isn't he? He used his magical Mr. Blackbourne mind reading powers to know I would spill my tea. He's the dog you were talking about."

Sean pouts. I poke at his lip. "Don't make me call Gabriel," I warn. "Now come on, let's go already."

Owen's silver BMW is parked in a guest spot out front. Sean and I eye each other as we approach it. Without warning, I break into a sprint, trying to reach the backseat before he can. If they're picking me up, it's only fair that I get the undesirable seat. Sean has longer legs than me, though, and I'm trying not to spill my tea again. He yanks open the front door a fraction of a second before I make it. He grins as he ushers me inside.

"For you, my dear Snurpie."

I reluctantly climb into the front seat. "I said Pookie was fine."

"Both of those are ridiculous," Owen says besides me.

I buckle up, conscious of Owen's eyes on me. He focuses on my sweater. "I see you needed the tea."

"I wouldn't have if Sean didn't knock like he was trying to raise the dead," I mutter darkly. Or if they actually called ahead to tell me they were coming.