20: Nathan to the Rescue

The inside of Nathan's car smells pleasantly of leather. I inhale deeply, relaxing against the soft seat. I could fall asleep in an instant if the radio wasn't playing some awful whining song. "Your cologne is really strong," I mutter.

Nathan's eyebrows furrow. "The leather smell? That's the car. I bought it a few weeks ago." He releases one hand from the steering wheel and whacks the dash. "Although I think the radio's broken. It won't stop making that stupid noise."

While he's concentrating on driving, I fiddle with the radio until it finally becomes silent. We both sigh in relief. I was starting to get a headache. That could have been due to the lack of sleep, though.

"Do you want to get some coffee before we get to the studio?" Nathan asks. I shake my head. The only thing I want to do is have this day be over already, which is a bit unfortunate as it's hardly begun.

I stiffen when I feel a warm hand on my arm, only to relax when I look into Nathan's stunning blue eyes. He winks. "I'll keep you safe, Peanut." It may be my imagination, but it looks like he flexes his arm muscle just the tiniest of amounts.

I smile at him. "Red light," I mutter.

Nathan returns his focus to the road, slamming on his brakes just in time to stop at the light. He shrugs guiltily. "Maybe driving isn't the time for meaningful eye conversations," he says. I have to agree.

At the gates of the studio, we're stopped by a guard. He looks just like Corey, except a wee bit heavier. Nathan pulls up to him, rolling his window down.

"Just you two?" the guard asks.

"Yep." Nathan gestures between the guard and me. "Sang, I don't think you've met Brandon yet. He's Corey's twin. Brandon, this is Sang."

Brandon leans over and waves at me. I awkwardly wave back. "So can you tell the difference between Corey and me?" he asks. "Maybe something to do with our eyes?" He smirks, watching me carefully.

I stare at his eyes, because he obviously wants me to compliment them or something, but they look just like Corey's. "Your eyes are the exact same shade of blue," I say. Ignoring Brandon's shocked look and Nathan's chuckle, I continue. "Do you really want me to tell you the difference between you? You're not going to like it."

"Shoot."

I gesture for Nathan to shift into drive. "You weigh more." With that comment hanging in the air, Nathan drives away, leaving a wide-eyed Brandon in our wake.

"Harsh," Nathan says. He pulls into a parking spot, right next to a hot pink motorcycle.

"I was just being honest!" I protest.

He chuckles. "And so was I."

As we walk into the studio, I can't shake the feeling that I'm being watched. When I mention it to Nathan, he puts an arm around my shoulder and pulls me in close. "They'll have to get through me first, and I weigh like twice as much as you. They couldn't shove me over the balcony without a small army."

When we get to the main hallway, Owen motions us over. Kota and Fell are already standing beside him.

"Hi Sang!" Fell yells. She has on a bulky black jacket. "Hi Muscles!"

"It's Nathan," Nathan grumbles.

Fell shrugs. "Not Sang. Whatever." She pulls me from Nathan's side and replaces his arm with hers. "Isn't this awesome! There's going to be so much drama!"

Owen clears his throat. "Nothing bad will happen, because security knows not to let Jade onto the premises."

"Ah yes, Jade. You know, if she was more loveable, people wouldn't suspect her nearly as much." Fell smiles her sweet smile at me. I grimace. That was a weird thing for her to say.