Chapter 13

Luke tried his best to avoid Calum at school over the next couple of days, expecting Calum not to notice how he froze and turned on his heel when he saw Calum in the corridors, or when he almost ran out of classes they shared.

Although he'd never admit it, Calum would be lying if he said it didn't hurt him a little. They weren't friends, in fact, they were barely acquaintances, but the few times they had spoken was enough to make Luke avoiding him hurt.

Maybe it was the sound of Mali's voice echoed in his head, telling him that it was probably best for him to stay away or that Luke was making a physical effort to avoid him. Sure, Calum was used to people avoiding him out of fear, but he thought Luke was different when he stood up to him and called out his hypocrisy.

By Friday, Calum had had enough of Luke's behaviour and tracked him down at lunchtime, under the tree at the edge of the grounds where he always was.

"You've been avoiding me." Calum said, sitting down next to him and giving him a fright.

"I wasn't aware that I had to talk to you everyday. We're not friends Calum."

"I know that, and you don't have to talk to me everyday, but you don't have to turn around in the middle of the corridor to avoid me either." Calum replied, nudging Luke's arm. "Did you think I wouldn't notice?"

"Well, you never noticed me before, so I thought, maybe I'll become invisible to you again." Luke mumbled to his knees. "People like you don't hang around with people like me so I saved you the hassle of trying to defend your image."

"My image?" Calum repeated, raising an eyebrow sceptically. "What are you trying to say?"

"Well, does your friend know that you talk to me? No. You only ever come and find me when he's in detention or something. You'd never talk to me in front of him because that would make you look bad. I'm a weird loner and you don't want to be associated with me."

"You actually think I'm that shallow?" Calum scoffed, shaking his head. Luke looked away awkwardly and Calum let out a loud, fake laugh.

"You do. Well, next time I see Jake throwing you around like a toy, I'll stay out of it. I wouldn't want him to associate me with you would I?" Calum added the last bit sarcastically as he got to his feet. "I'll see you a round Luke."

"Wait-" Luke called out but Calum didn't turn round. Luke slumped back against the tree trunk and sighed. He had told Ashton that making friends wasn't easy for him, and now he'd proved it.
---------------------------------------------

Michael glanced over at Calum during English, frowning at the scowl on his best friend's face.

"What's made you so grumpy?" Michael asked quietly, nudging Calum's elbow.

"Doesn't matter." Calum mumbled, continuing to scowl as he pretended to pay attention to the teacher. Michael opened his mouth to say something else but decided against it and turned his attention back to the board.

"Michael, do you think I'm shallow?" Calum asked a few minutes later. "Like if you didn't know me as well as you do, would you assume I was shallow?"

"No, why?" Michael responded, raising his eyebrow in confusion. Calum sighed and rested his head on the palm of his hand.

"Doesn't matter."

"It clearly does mate." Michael told him, keeping his voice down so the teacher wouldn't hear. "Has Mali been saying stuff again?"

"Surprisingly no." Calum replied grumpily. "I wish it was though, I've built up a tolerance to her bullshit."

"Who's bullshit is upsetting you then?"

"Just some random kid who doesn't even know me. It's not that big of a deal. I'm being stupid." Calum muttered, shaking his head at himself.

"If you say so." Michael shrugged. Calum wanted to tell Michael all about Luke and his issues with Jake and how they were - whatever they were but telling Michael would mean he'd have to let Luke into his life - properly into is life, and he wasn't quite sure that was good for Luke. He didn't want to hurt the blond boy. He didn't want to hurt anyone, but sometimes he couldn't stop himself.

Calum wasn't a naturally violent person. He wasn't naturally aggressive or angry either. As a child, he'd been shy, calm and avoided confrontation as far as possible. But after years of Mali making his life hell, Calum's temper had shortened and he had become defensive and angry. He didn't like what he'd become, but until Mali forgave him, there was no way he could begin to change it. All he could do was deal with his unwanted anger and wait for Mali to grow up. Calum knew that could take a very long time to happen.

"Calum. Calum!" Michael exclaimed, waving his hand in front of Calum's face. Calum snapped out of his thoughts with a jolt and blinked up at his best friend.

"Where is everyone?" Calum asked, glancing round the empty classroom.

"They left 5 minutes ago. I've been trying to get your attention for ages, you were completely out of it. The school day is over."

"Oh. Sorry, I've just been lost in thought."

"Are you sure you're okay? Michael asked. "You've been acting funny since lunch."

"Yeah, I'm fine Michael." Calum replied, exhaling loudly. "I'm just overthinking." He picked up his bag off the floor and flung it over his shoulder. Michael smiled sadly at him and followed him out of the classroom. Calum had had days where he zoned out and overthought before, and Michael knew that it was just best to not interfere, even if he really wanted to.

Sometimes Calum was unpredictable and Michael could do nothing but let him figure things out his own way. He knew better than anyone how explosive Calum's temper had become.