Chapter 17

Luke woke up before Calum the next morning, but he couldn't move without disturbing him. He was curled up into a ball, with his head resting on Luke's chest sleeping peacefully. The morning sun was streaming through a small gap in his curtains and hitting Calum's face. Luke smiled at how adorably peaceful he looked, forgetting that Calum could probably destroy him in 5 seconds if he was given a motive.

As soon as Calum made any sign of waking up, Luke shut his eyes and pretended to be asleep. Calum groaned, turning his head to avoid the sun's rays. For a moment, he was confused until the events of the night before flooded back. He glanced up at Luke through his eyelashes and smiled. He couldn't deny that lying next to him felt weirdly nice.

"You could never be with someone like him Calum. He deserves so much better than you. You are a murderer."

"I'm not a murderer." Calum mumbled.

"I hope not, you're in my bed." Luke replied in a deep morning voice. Calum's eyes widened and he swallowed nervously. Luke's morning voice was hot. "Morning Cal."

"C-cal?" Calum stuttered, trying to sound cool but failing. "When did you start calling me Cal?"

"Right now. I won't call you Cal if you don't want me to."

"I-I don't mind." Calum shrugged, grimacing at how awkward he sounded. "The only other people who have called me Cal are my parents."

"So I can call you Cal?" Luke repeated sleepily. "Just so I'm sure."

"Yes, but only if it's just us."

"So you're expecting to be around me a lot?" Luke teased, peering down at Calum who covered his face to hide the blush that had risen in his cheeks.

"Are you - blushing?"

"No." Calum mumbled, muffled by the duvet that covered his face.

"You are." Luke chuckled, trying to pull the duvet away from his face.

"If you tell anyone-" Calum snarled as peered over the duvet, but it doesn't come out as aggressive as he hoped it would. Luke seemed to have this power of him that made his anger just melt away, pushed aside by his beautiful blue eyes.

"You know.." Luke said seriously, sitting up in his bed. "I used to be terrified of you."

"Most people are." Calum replied with a shrug, copying him.

"But you're just a big softie really." Luke continued with a small smile on his face. "You were fascinated by that blanket yesterday and you held onto me so tight last night-"

"Alright, alright that's enough." Calum interrupted, blushing furiously again. "I was sad last night, and that blanket was really soft, okay. Don't get used to it."

Luke grinned, playing with his lip ring between his teeth. Calum watched him fondly, stunned by how effortlessly good Luke looked so early in the morning.

"Luke, wake up!" A woman yelled, before the door flew open and a blonde walked in. She stopped as soon as she spotted Calum and raised an eyebrow.

"Who's this Luke?" She asked. It was Luke's turn to blush, biting his lip.

"Mum, this is Calum, he's a- friend."

"You hesitated."

"Mum!" Luke exclaimed as Calum started laughing, using the duvet to hide his face again.

"I swear we're just friends Mum."

"No we're not." Calum mumbled, grinning as Luke glared at him.

"Shut up Cal, we are."

"At what point did we become friends?" Calum asked, smirking at Luke. Luke opened his mouth to say something but his Mum cut him off.

"It doesn't matter when you became..whatever you are. I want to know why he's in your bed Luke."

"It's a- erm- long story mum." Luke said, shifting awkwardly under his mum's glare.

"I'm waiting."
----------------------------------------------

After Calum and Luke explained to Luke's mum why there was tattooed teenager in her son's bed, she helped Calum down the stairs and made them breakfast.

"Here, have some painkillers, that should help you put some weight on your foot. I don't think you've done any serious damage, after a day or two it should be fine to walk on properly but I wouldn't do any strenuous exercise. When you get home, rest it as much as you can and wear something on your feet at all times, even if it's just socks." She said, handing Calum a packet of tablets.

"Why did you leave your house like that anyway?" Luke asked, pouring himself a glass of water. "You must have left in a hurry to forget your phone and shoes."

"It's not important." Calum mumbled. Luke and his mum exchanged concerned glances but didn't press the subject.

"What do you want for breakfast Cal?"

"Erm.. Can I just have some toast?"

Luke headed over to the toaster, which was at the other side of the massive kitchen from where the kitchen table is. Calum was sure he remembered someone telling him Luke's dad was a star tennis player.

"Morning all." Mr Hemmings said, walking into the kitchen as Luke places the toast in front of Calum. "Who are you?"

Calum saw Luke visibly tense when his dad spoke, his hands trembling as the moved away from plate.

"D-dad, this is C-Calum. He's my friend."

"I thought that Ashton kid next door was your only friend." Calum raised an eyebrow disapprovingly and sat up straighter.

"Well you thought wrong. Luke and I are definitely friends." He told Luke's dad. Luke stared at him in disbelief but quickly changed his expression to one of agreement.

"And why are you here?" Luke's dad asked rudely.

"I stayed over last night because I injured my foot in the park nearby here and I forgot my phone. Luke let me sleep on his floor."

"How nice of him." Mr Hemmings replied with a smile that didn't reach his eyes.

"Leave the poor kid alone Andrew, he was alone in the park for 6 hours yesterday." Liz told her husband sternly.

"Why was someone like you in the park in this part of town anyway?"

"Excuse me sir, someone like me? I don't understand what you mean."

"I know your type, lowlife punks. My son's shirt doesn't cover the tattoos on your arms and those monstrosities on your face. I don't want you near him, okay. People like you are nothing but trouble."

"You'd think you'd be able to buy some manners with all the money you make Mr Hemmings." Calum retorted sassily, glaring up at him. Luke snorted and bit his lip to stifle the laughter. His dad advanced on Calum, stopping a foot in front of him so he towered over him.

"Get out of my house Punk!"

"Gladly, if it means I don't have to be around you." Calum said, standing up but falling as soon as he put weight on his foot.

"No, don't leave Calum." Luke said, grabbing his wrist.

"No, I know where I'm not welcome. Thanks for your hospitality Mrs Hemmings. Luke, can you help me out?"

Luke reluctantly helped Calum out of the house, holding him up until they reach the garden wall.

"Thanks. For that." Luke mumbled awkwardly. "You didn't need to stick up for me."

"Yes I did, I wasn't going to let him belittle you like that." Calum replied, leaning against the wall. "Hey Luke, any chance of a lift home?"

"Yeah, let me just grab the keys."