Chapter 4

So this is awkward. Fitz thought with a smile on his face. So you really did get me for your #1. And I got you too. His smile wavered. This is kind of... strange. Please say something.

"Okay, you realize we can talk right? Nobody listening or anything." Sophie said with a laugh. "Although, you never know when Biana is behind you."

"Yeah, true. I guess I was being dumb." Fitz said, pacing back and forth. "Should we go and meet back up with the group? To, you know, ask who got who for their #1s?"

"Sure, that would be fun." Sophie said to Fitz. "Let's go." She awkwardly tried to hold Fitz's hand, but it ended up in disaster. "Umm... Sorry." She muttered under her breath, feeling her cheeks warm up in embarrassment.

"It's okay." Fitz said. He easily picked up her hand and they walked back, clutching onto each others hands, to the group.

"Awwwww..." Biana swooned when she saw Fitz and Sophie holding hands. "When did you two lovebirds find out you liked each other?"

"She just grew on me over time." Fitz said, smirking. "Our bond has become so strong." Fitz looked at Sophie waiting for an answer.

"Oh, um," Sophie tried to talk, but her voice kept failing her. "It's just... I kind of... had a thing... since we met." She tried to hide her blushing, but she already knew everyone already saw it.

"It's okay." Linh came over and whispered in her ear. "We all know that you had a crush on Fitz since he came to find you. Even Keefe and Dex knew that." Sophie looked over to where the two boys sat. Dex looked angry, sad, and confused at the same time, not even looking at Sophie. Keefe, however, was the opposite. He was staring straight at Sophie, with a tiny smile on his face. When his eyes went over to Sophie holding Fitz's hand, he dropped the smile and looked at the ground.

You think they're ok? Fitz asked in her mind. They look kind of down.

Maybe they're not happy with who they got on their lists? Sophie said, hoping he would buy it.

I know what you're thinking Sophie. Sophie sighed. No going back now.

Maybe... I don't know... I think they might be mad. Sophie transmitted to Fitz. But that's just a guess.

Of what? Fitz thought. I can't think of anything they could be mad at. Unless... His eyes widened. Unless they they are mad at... us?

What? Sophie exclaimed, trying to sound surprised. Are you sure? That doesn't seem right.

Sophie, stop trying. You knew that already, didn't you?

Yeah...

Should we try to comfort them?

Just then, Sophie head a snap! She looked down and realized that Fitz had stopped holding her hand for a second, and that the Cognate rings connected once again. It was like the rings wanted them to keep holding hands...

"Oh sorry," she mumbled.

"What do you have to be sorry for?" Fitz said with a huge grin.

"No it's," She eyed Dex, who was staring daggers at Fitz.

Um, why is he doing that? Fitz asked.

I... don't know. Sophie replied.

Maybe... I should go talk to him?

NO! Sophie transmitted loudly, startling Fitz into dropping her hand.

I mean... that's probably not a good idea. He already looks really mad at you. Let me talk to him, I'll make sure he calms down.

Okay then.