Chapter 7

Sophie landed on her feet outside the pastures in Havenfield. Hundreds of exquisite creatures roamed here, making noises now and then. Calla's tree was swaying back and forth with the wind. Sophie bit her lip. Calla would be devastated if she knew Mr. Forkle had died. She tried not to think about it and walked silently into the mansion.

Grady and Edaline were talking to each other with serious faces but quickly put on fake smiles as Sophie came inside. Sophie could see Sandor poking his head through the corner, shaking his head, pointing at Grady.

"What were you doing?" Grady asked, furious. He looked at Sandor. "Why didn't you go with her?" Sandor backed away.

"We were opening our matchmaking scrolls." Sophie said politely. "Did Sandor not tell you?"

"No he DIDN'T." Grady's face softened. "Now, who did you get?" Grady looked at Sandor's empty space before he looked at Sophie again.

"Um, someone?" Sophie tried weakly. She started feeling the heat in her cheeks.

"Oh really? Come on, you can tell us more than that!" Edaline smiled and walked over to Sophie, wrapping her arms around her. "Besides, we helped Jolie." She whispered.

"We did in fact." Grady said, a sad smile forming. "Now," he said, going back into overprotective parent mode. "Who did you get again? It better not have to do with That Boy." Sophie groaned.

"Dad! I told you, his name is Keefe.And, anyway, I didn't get him. And that's a bad thing!" Sophie said as Grady started to relax and lean back into his chair.

"Now I really wanna know."

"UGH why does he always have to that?" Sophie scowled and turned away.

"How about this, Sophie and I head upstairs and talk about girl stuff. You and Sandor can talk about who you think it is and things." Edaline said. "Let's go to your room Sophie." She started pulling Sophie upstairs.

"So, are you gonna tell me now?" Sophie hunched her shoulders, annoyed. "C'mon, just a hint?"

"You're just as bad as Grady." Sophie complained as she plopped onto her bed. "Why do even have to know?"

"Trust me dear, Jolie was just as annoyed as you were. But she eventually gave up and told me." She moved closer. "I know you will."

"NO I WON'T." Sophie whinned.

"Who is it? I know it's one of your friends," Edaline grinned as Sophie straightened. "Is it Keefe? Dex? Tam? Or is it Fitz?" After the last name, Sophie forced herself to stop the blushing she knew was creeping up. Edaline's smile only grew bigger.

"It's nobody! Oh, someone please help me." She buried her head in her hands.

"Hey, look what I found!" Grady's excited voice came from downstairs. Sophie and Edaline quickly stood up and raced out the door. Sophie beat her mom down the stairs, and when she saw what was in Grady's hand, her face turned bright red.

Her matchmaking scroll.