Chapter 5

"Hey, you okay?" Sophie asked Dex as she sat down next to him. "You seem kind of... mad."

"Mad can't even describe how I'm feeling." Dex grumbled back.

"What's wrong?" Sophie followed Dex's gaze and saw Fitz, now talking to Linh and Biana. "Is it Fitz?"

"Yeah, it is actually him. How come Wonderboy always gets what he wants? Everything always works out perfect in his world." He said, with a look of pure hatred in his eyes. "It's just not fair."

"Life isn't fair." A voice said behind them. Sophie turned her head and found Keefe leaning over the couch. "You just have to deal with it."

"How? It just makes me ANGRY. Sometimes I wish everything would turn out my way, and not all of the things I want are good things." Dex said.

"Why are you so mad Fitz?" Sophie asked. "He's your friend, and he didn't necessarily do anything bad to you."

"HE DID EVERYTHING." he snapped back. "Him just being here is something."

"Wow! Chill out dude," Keefe said, fanning himself with his hand. "Those are some hardcore emotions you're sending. What's with the jealousy?" He smiled. Dex turned around and glared at Keefe, making him take a step back.

"I am not jealous!" He growled loudly, making a few heads turn their way. Dex stopped talking and started to turn red.

"Certainly feels like it," Keefe whispered to Sophie. "His emotions are more intense than your's Foster." He chuckled. But Sophie didn't feel like laughing.

"Seriously, Dex, what are you hiding that you don't like about Fitz?" Sophie said, trying to make her voice comforting.

"Yeah, what is with the jealousy I'm receiving?" Keefe said, smiling.

"I hate empaths..." growled Dex. "I don't want to talk about it anyway. I'm not feeling it."

"Ok then." Sophie said putting her hand over Dex's. He quickly stood up and walked away. Sophie felt the guilt of Dex's jealously and looked down at her shoes.

"Think he'll be okay?" Sophie asked Keefe.

"I don't know, there was a point where I thought he was gonna run away from us." Keefe suddenly turned serious. "I need to ask you something."

"What?" He leaned in closer, studying her. Sophie blushed.

"Were you..." He trailed off. He shook his head and tried again. "Were you... really in love with Fitz the first time you saw him?"