Chapter 6

All I knew was that I was in the desert. Shifting Sands, if I had to hazard a guess, but it was a region I'd never been. There was sign of the Darkness, not even Sand Furies, although I was careful to watch my step, my hand constantly on the hilt of my sword, as I wandered aimlessly. I was unsure of my quest, but I knew I had to get to a cave. Which cave, I had no idea, but I knew, somehow, that the answer would be there.

The heat, as always, was sweltering, the sun beating down on my neck. I definitely wasn't dressed appropriately, my regal outfit stifling and sticking to my skin, but all my attempts to contact Jasper were futile. I was stuck, a bright blue thumb in the vast sands. My legs moved like they were submerged in water, my hair wet from perspiration already.

I had no idea how much time was passing, or if it was moving at all, night in the desert didn't ever seem to fall. I considered disrobing, abandoning my weapons and treading in whichever way seemed more likely to lead to the City but I had no way to know how far away it was and I was guaranteed to meet an enemy at some point.

After what felt like a lifetime, as the sun was only just touching the horizon line, brushing one another faintly, like they feared the other would break, I stumbled across a rather promising cave. Craving the shade, I ducked soundlessly into the entrance, a cool breeze flowing over me. I leaned back against the stone, until a voice shocked me into action. My hand immediately jumping to my sword.

"Did I scare you?" A familiar, soft voice cooed, and I struggled to identify its origin. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. It's just so unexpected to see you here." I froze, the blood rushing from my face, as the figure stepped into view. "I mean, aren't you supposed to be somewhere, giving some... orders?"

"Uh... Ben, ah, erm..." I stuttered, stumbling, unsure of what words I was expected to say. I was vaguely aware of how genuinely bizarre the entire moment was, but somehow he looked better than he ever had, his hair shining like spun gold in the Auroran sun, his blue eyes holding secrets that I would never be told. "Why, ah, why are you here?"

"Waiting for you, genius," He smiled, stepping closer to me, his skin inches away from my own. A stumble, accidental or otherwise, and we would be touching. The idea dominated my conscious mind, electrifying my skin, and I desperately attempted to hide my smirk, to no avail. "I knew you would find me, you always do. I'm just your loyal subject," Ben's hand rested on my arm, the contact sending shockwaves, like a stone dropping into water, ripples, across my entire body, "right?"

For a moment, time stood still, my hair still dripping with sweat, my dress hanging limply, its weight pulling me into the sand. When I looked in his eyes, l felt everything disappear, the only thing I could see was the man stood in front of me, my former captain, I was unable to find control over my body. His hand cupped my cheek and his eyes bore into mine. My heart was beating a mile a minute, my breath stuck in my throat. By the time the curse had broken, and he made the final move, his lips a painful breath away from my own, I found myself shocked awake, panting in the dark of my bedroom.

"What in the Heavens..." I questioned the dark, receiving a blank silence in return. The familiar architecture and average temperature a welcome sensation. I could still feel the electricity of the moment stick to my skin like I was wrapped in mud. I felt for the space where, once, long ago, I would have found JD, my loyal dog, and the absence of such comfort only amplified the shaking in my limbs.

What did it mean? Did I... have feelings for Ben Finn? No, no, that couldn't be right; my muddled brain was just... muddling things up. Dreams didn't mean anything, anyway. But there was a man in the desert who could talk to brains and I could send fireballs out of my hands, so, I mean, on the scale of impossible things, having a crush on (subjectively) the most attractive man in Albion wasn't that bad. But I didn't... I didn't feel anything. Right?

As I laid back and closed my eyes, my heart still racing, I almost convinced myself that that was the truth.