Chapter 14.5 (kind of)

An excerpt from the journal of Mary Godwin

"They used to call me 'Witchcraft Mary'. I can only assume they still do, the few of whom still talk of me. The Prince likes to call me a Goddess. Sometimes I can't help but revel in that irony - the one who imprisoned me for the very experiments I am practising on him now calls me a creator, a saviour. I found the idea in a Dans Mourir book I read whilst I was incarcerated - for his faults, the man had a very appealing way with Hobbes. A charming notion, I must admit, to befriend the monsters that roam our kingdom like a jungle, but I know better. One cannot simply befriend them - one must be pure. Dans Mourir was a fool, prone to hyperbole for the sale of his books. Capitalising on the lives of creatures that can't defend themselves was a true display of his low intelligence. I am far better as both a scientist and as a person. If I can make at least one member of the royal family see my way - the true way - then we will achieve full purification! Prince Logan is almost at the desired stage. The daydreams fulfil me to no end. I pity the man, nonetheless. I do believe he has fallen in love with me. But I suppose I am one to cast aspersions, I have been prone to such folly myself. Such useless human emotions will be eradicated when we transcend the boundaries of species and traverse into the realm of true genetic purity! Oh, I can just imagine the mountains of Mistpeak, bustling and plentiful with the beautiful harmony of our beloved co-existence.

The success rate of my experiments has been... diminishing. It seems that as long as the Temple of Avo insists on keeping that horrific statue behind the Demon Door, there is nothing we can do to entice the Darkness from deep within the Prince. On the occasions that we do succeed, even slightly, the statue grows stronger with the spirits of the children, and allows them to feed their fat faces on the fruits of our labour. And, without a way to harness the Darkness, there is no way to ensure purification. We must find the solution to opening the Demon Door, but it has been locked for hundreds of years and anyone who knew the answers is now long dead. Until this is solved, I must suffer with Prince Logan and his ridiculous infatuation. He brought me flowers today, though where he got them from is beyond me. My chance for true love is over. Why does he not understand that we must focus on our cerebral purpose? Each time I explain to him the severity of our task, he assures me that we have time and that we should have fun. Fun! Can you imagine taking a night to drink ale at a second-rate pub? How could I even think about abandoning my cause when somewhere, right now, somebody is almost certainly murdering an innocent creature due to the misconceptions perpetuated by impurity? I will make him understand, or I will make him suffer.

Prince Logan has proven to be nothing but a hindrance on my plans. He persists with his impetuous school-boy behaviour, although I have communicated the danger of this to our mission of purification! It infuriates me to no end. I would give almost anything for a test subject that is less flirtatious. Moreover, it is impossible to perform anything with the statue behind that stubborn Demon Door, so there is no way for me to weave my scientific magic and order him to stop. I may have to banish him to Bowerstone. Or, indeed, anywhere but here. I cannot focus with these distractions. I am beginning to miss my own past life, before I saw the light. There is little I can do to change that, but I must do all I can to make the future more bearable. If not for me, then for the poor creatures that are constantly hunted in this Kingdom. Albion must see the truth."