Chapter 24

My body's instant reaction upon awaking to the fact that there was literally a stranger in my chambers was, understandably, one of sheer terror. I bolted upright, prepared to scream or grab my gauntlets, tense and petrified. An amused giggle sounded from inches away as my eyes adjusted to the dim early-morning light. As I foggily recollected my 'dream' the previous night, which subsequently allowed me to recognise the intruder, I felt the heat rise to my cheeks. After all of the months of waiting for him to return, he was standing, as if belonged there, as if he had always been there, at my bedside, and I had just embarrassed myself by almost screaming.

"Ben! I, uh, ah..." I tripped over my own words, blinded by the sunshine of his smile. My confusion only fuelled his apparent amusement. I exhaled, slowly, closing my eyes and attempting to gather some sanity before I smiled back. "It wasn't a dream? I mean, you're here? You're actually here?"

"General Benjamin Finn, at your service." He replied, smirking, kissing the back of my hand. "It was stupidly cute when you thought I wasn't real, though. If only you could be that nice to me all the time, we'd be golden." I threw my arms around him, achieving both objectives in shutting him up and being closer to him. He chuckled, pulling me closer. "Oh, gods, I've missed you. But I've got some good news." He detangled himself from my embrace, sitting beside me on the bed. My heartbeat increased slightly as it began to sink in that he was really there, sitting beside me.

"You were gone for so long." I mumbled, quietly, refusing to meet his eyes. "I'm never letting you leave again, you know? Next time you get a great idea like that, just... don't."

"You have no idea how great that great idea was, Rose, it..." Ben sighed. "Everything's going to be right again. When you're..." I remained staring at the small empty space between us, frightened to look at him in case there were obvious signs that he was a mirage, "more awake, we need to call a meeting."

"A meeting? About what?" I unsuccessfully attempted to wipe the sleep from my eyes. It had been my first sufficient nights' sleep in a long time; my body refused to let go of the experience as quickly as was needed.

"The whole brilliant solution to all of our problems thing? Was that not clear?" He laughed, lightly trailing his finger against my cheek. I finally, slowly, met his eyes, and the cool blue felt refreshing, safe. It thawed the sadness and negativity of the last few months, leaving me with a light, airy feeling in my chest. Without any specific intentions or conscious decisions, I kissed him. My whole body wrapped itself around his, like ivy. I breathed him in, drinking in his scent of gunpowder and combat. Ben responded by deepening the kiss, holding me as close as was humanly possible. It was like the sun was emerging after about half a year of dull misery. I pulled back, breathless, grinning, and saw Ben's expression was the same. "What was that for?"

"Missed you." I shrugged, any efforts to appear nonchalant flawed only by facial expression. I stood up, feeling the cold floor against my feet. "Who do we need at our meeting?" Regally - or, at least, in an unavoidably regal fashion - I stared across the courtyard from the window, directly into the stony grey eyes of my brother's statue. It was a surreal to know his pain would be over today, if Ben's plan worked. A plan I knew nothing about. It was nice to not be the one in charge for once.

"I've already ensured that everyone that needs to be there will be there. As well as a few... superfluous individuals." I shot him a questioning look over my shoulder. "I just want to see Hobson's face when he finds out you're not going to marry some noble dickhead with a mansion in Millfields."

"Wait, you don't have a mansion?" I asked, laughing genuinely. "I'm sorry; we have to call this off."

"You mean my stunning wit and unbelievable good looks aren't good enough for you?" He replied with a silky tone, joining me and snaking his arms around my waist. Lightly, Ben kissed my neck, his breath sending shivers straight to every nerve. Reluctantly, almost painfully, he pulled away, heading to the door. "I'll leave you to get ready, darling. Meeting in an hour or so, war room. Don't be late." He stopped, thoughtfully. "I'm so lucky that I get to order the Queen of Albion about like this."

"Don't push your luck, Finn," I responded, mock serious, "with a whole kingdom to run, I can't keep prioritising you." He turned again, but his smile was still illuminating the room.

"But you always will." His sentence was punctuated by the soft thud of the door. I smiled to myself, basking in the moment, before beginning to get dressed.