Chapter 18

I, quite inexplicably, awoke to the scent of cooked meat. That, for one, was a surprise since the castle staff passionately hated and vowed to annihilate anyone who ate outside of the designating eating rooms. I yawned, stretched, sat up and looked for the day's itinerary on the desk. It was the bane of my existence; a painfully tedious, in-detail list of every task I had to perform, written in Hobson's careful cursive. But, that morning, even at a glance I could tell that something was off. The most obvious difference was the full breakfast, almost glistening with deliciousness, next to a much less pristine piece of parchment, which was only one sheet in contrast to the almost novellas Hobson liked to produce. I sauntered across the room, figuring that this was the time to take leisure, stealing a few bites before reading the scrawl on the parchment. It seemed my only appointment for the day was "meet General Finn, Mourningwood Fort, noon". I couldn't help grinning - it was barely dawn. I had a full morning to spend how I liked.

I mostly amused myself by talking to anyone who happened upon my path throughout the castle, whistling jaunty tunes to myself and visiting Walter's statue. I didn't have time to tend to it like I used to, but the staff had cared for it nicely in my absence. The perfect blue sky presented an ideal background to the monument; I held my hand against the cool marble, taking a moment to thank him, wherever he was, for his help. As far as mentors go, I liked to assume Walter was the best there ever was. I prised myself away, knowing I would need quite a bit of time to pick out an outfit.

Jasper seemed to be expecting me, but being an elderly butler stuck in a trans-dimensional 5-roomed box with me as the only visitor, how could he not be? I greeted him energetically, continuing to whistle lightly as he followed me into the dressing room.

"I have no words for the joy it brings me to see you this happy, your majesty," he told me, standing slightly to the side. I smiled at him, appreciating my own happiness nearly as much as he was. "May I ask what it is that has prompted this sudden change in disposition? Not that it is a bad thing, of course."

"Okay, but you can't tell anyone, Jasper," I sat on the steps, my elbows on my knees and my head in my hands, but he didn't move, as composed as he ever had been, despite the look of sheer ecstasy on his face - anyone who knew him knew Jasper loved to be involved in gossip. "Promise?"

"With all due respect, Rose, who is it that you fear I would tell, whilst I am in here all day every day?"

"I don't know, Hobson?" I shrugged, and was only met with a curt laugh. "Okay, okay... I'm going on a date. I think." The look on Jasper's face was priceless. An almost farcical expression that belonged solely to children who are given balloons and dogs that are shown a stick."I don't see why it wouldn't be, I mean, he confessed his feelings to me the day before yesterday."

"I have been waiting for this day for so long," he almost squealed. His hands were balled into fists; the emotion seemed too great for him to handle. Concerned, I grabbed his arm, hoping somehow that would stop him fainting, or having a heart attack, or anything of that nature. "What are you going to wear? Oh, forget that, who is he?"

"It's Ben," I replied, flicking through the many perfectly pressed dresses on creepily vacant mannequins. None of the options seemed appropriate. "And I have literally no idea what I'm going to wear. I was hoping you could help me with that."

"Our Ben? As in, Captain Finn?" His incredulous tone dampened my parade, but didn't completely ruin it. I had been prepared for this kind of reaction since I first realised I liked him. I nodded, solemnly. "Oh, how wonderful! He is such a nice boy, I've always said so. Oh, you're going to be so cute together." It took a moment for the words to register, as they did I took in Jasper's frantic galloping. "May I suggest the red dress with the black decoration? It is said that red provokes a certain response with the male sex."

"What?" Unsurprisingly, the dress Jasper picked was astoundingly beautiful. "I didn't know you'd ever met him. I'm so glad you approve, though." As I wiggled into the dress, carefully enough to not ruffle the translucent fabric, I saw my reflection in the full length mirror. "Jasper! You're a genius!"

"Yes, I believe I met him the night Walter and Swift discovered him. We were having a meal at a charming restaurant in Old Quarter, and just as Swift and Daisy were leaving Walter and I to..." he stopped, a complete silence from the other side of the room as I browsed amongst shoes, "stroll around town - through the centre of the tables, a young man ran, breaking plates and glasses. Apparently, I wasn't able to see due to cowering into Wa- under the table, ha, ha," he corrected, and I shook my head, although he couldn't see. "But apparently he was able to shoot and kill the pirates chasing him without even looking in their direction! Of course, they decided immediately that he was a proper fit for the army but all he asked was if we had ice for his monkey bites." I emerged from behind the screens, and Jasper did nothing but stare, openly for a moment. "If you permit me in saying this, my queen, you look absolutely fantastic."

"Thank you, Jasper," I grinned, fluffing my skirt, twirling. "Remind me to ask Ben for his version of that story. Thank you so much, honestly."

"It is my pleasure to serve," he bowed as I said my goodbyes, heading back to the real world. I couldn't help but question if I had told myself a few years ago that I was going on a date with Ben Finn, what I would have said? Would I have even believed it? Would I have wanted it? I shook my head, smiling to myself and making my way out of the castle.