Chapter 3: Maria

My aching muscles were what woke me up. The children of Apollo were low on something they called, Ambrosia. I refused taking it so an Aphrodite kid could have some. If only there was more.

It was about 5:30 and we have to get up at 6:00. My sister, Tríana, was still fast asleep. She is my only family right now.

Yesterday was pretty tough. The grueling exercises really dawned on me that I need to work out more. It's not my fault my mom buys two packets of double-stuffed Oreos everytime she goes out. I just eat them to make sure it doesn't go to waste.

Tri, as I call her, woke up. Her eyes flickered open and immediately stared into my mind. She instantly closed them, trying to hope I didn't see it.

Our beds were 5 feet apart. Mine being up against the wall at the back of the room. We were in what used to be a classroom. I chose room 309, my old math class, and Tri didn't like sleeping alone at night.

"It's okay, Tri," I chuckled. "I think everyone is awake already. Whether they like it or not, they want to know what their skill is."

A smile was visible through the darkness of the room. She brought a hand under her bed, feeling the dirty floor for an object. Tri stuck out her hand to mine and inside was an object wrapped in cloth.

I grabbed the item from her hand, feeling the soft fabric under my fingers. My body sat up right, and I reached for a flashlight. Holding the flashlight in my mouth, I opened up the cloth that was held together with a small, golden string and took out the object inside of it.

A bracelet. It just had no beads or design on it. I shot Tri a questioning look.

"You're supposed to put beads on it," Tri explained. "Oury told me this was to keep track of our progress. Every month, we put a bead representing something that happens here. We have 20 days until March is over. I thought it would be nice to give you one."

I smiled at Tri," Thank you, Tri"

We sat on our beds, the flashlight calming Tri. I'm guessing that's her fear. The dark. I tried asking questions about the camp, but she doesn't understand everything yet, too.

Before we knew it, a bell rang twice, indicating it was time for breakfast. All the students poured out of the classrooms, marching towards the quad. It seemed like the Mars and Ares kids went on another hunting run as they were holding dead livestock and chicken eggs.

The food was quickly cooked as the campers formed a line to get breakfast. The Demeter kids, once again, serves grain. Fortunately, cereal fit here, so Máchi didn't freak out as much.

It looked like Saccy is getting close to his siblings, Nuntius, Angel and Malum. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Mortem waving towards me. He jerked his head over to Máchi, who was making a giant volcano out of the eggs. We had a silent conversation, looking or point our heads to things we found amusing.

I noticed Mortem had an empty cup, so I decided to help. Using my new found powers, I forced out water from the water fountain and made it go into Mortem's cup. Everybody's eyes followed the stream of water then to me.

From the Main Office, Oury came marching in with an angry look on her face.

"Fluctus!" She barked. "No powers when you're not training!"

The curly haired girl drinking coffee, shamed me in sign language. 

"Sorry," I kept my head low, trying my best to block out all the looks I was getting.

Oury's fast softened. "It's okay. I never made any rules, so it's my fault. Just remember not to do it again." And with one look to the rest of the campers, she walked back to the office, and everyone continued their breakfast.