Twelve

DISCLAIMER: - see previous chapters -

==============================

MAINE PAUSED AT HER OFFICE DOORWAY when she noticed a steaming cup of what smelled like freshly made and brewed coffee sitting on a saucer and a single rose resting on said saucer. In front of it was a folded piece of paper standing upright in a tent position.

"It's not gonna bite, you know?" Ike teased and Maine's gaze moved from her desk to where her boss stood leaning against his office doorway.

"Kanino galing 'yan?"

"Merong note. Why don't you read it and find out kung kanino galing." His lips elongated as he pointed at the card he mentioned.

Maine walked carefully from the doorway to her desk, gingerly picking up the card and read the note that accompanied her coffee and rose.

Good morning, Maine! I know you didn't get to have your coffee yet dahil nagmamadali ka today. Enjoy your first cup of the day on me.
xoxo Alden
P.S. Hindi ako ang secret admirer mo in case you're wondering.
P.P.S. If you want more, just shoot me a text & I'll have one sent up to you ASAP.
P.P.P.S. I'll see you at lunch. And before you argue, Ike is aware na you'll be late returning back from your lunch break.

Maine frowned after she read the note. How did Alden manage to get this sent to her when she just parted ways with him at the elevator not more than three minutes ago when he got off his floor and she went on straight up to hers?

"When was this delivered?" tanong ni Maine, her eyes not leaving the coffee set in the middle of her desk.

"Just before you walked in here," was Ike's nonchalant response.

Maine tore her gaze from the steaming cup and looked at her boss and ex-boyfriend. "Sigurado ka?"

"Uh-hm," he nodded. "Better enjoy it while it's still hot," he added before pushing himself away from the doorway and returned back to his office.

Maine looked back at the inviting cup of coffee sitting in the middle of her desk. Alden was right: she was craving her first cup of coffee badly since she woke up late and didn't have time to prepare herself her usual cup she drank before leaving her place. Buti na lang Alden arrived with breakfast sandwiches he picked up on his way to her place and handed her one, which she consumed during the drive to the office.

She was surprised when it was Alden who rolled up in front of her building this morning instead of Ike since hindi naman niya kinonfirm kay Alden na sasabay na siya ulit sa kanya to and from the office. She sent Jules a text on her way out of her apartment letting her know na si Alden ang ride nila this morning. She was barely out of her apartment when Jules sent her a text back telling her not to worry dahil she found a ride to work herself.

"Dinaanan mo ba si Jules this morning on your way to work?" she asked before Ike disappeared back in his office.

Ike paused and looked over his shoulder at her, a frown creasing his forehead. "What made you think that?"

Maine's response was a simple cocking of her brow as she waited for him to quit deflecting her question and answer her already.

"Did you ask her?" He still wasn't answering her question.

"Ike..." she hissed.

"Maine..." he mimicked, grinning then cocked his head towards the coffee still waiting for her to consume on her desk. "Inumin mo na yan bago pa lumamig. Hindi na yan masarap kapag malamig."

# # # # #

IKE: Special coffee delivered as requested.

Ike shot Alden a quick text as soon as he was seated behind his desk and away from Maine's prying eyes. He didn't want to give away the fact na kasabwat siya sa master plan ni Alden sa pangliligaw kay Maine.

ALDEN: Thanks bro, I owe you one.

IKE: That's right, you do. But since you're kinda helping me out in a way, it's all cool.

ALDEN: I knew it! lol Gulat lang ako na siya talaga. She wouldn't be the first one that comes to my mind.

After Alden sought him out this weekend and told him of his plan to properly court Maine, they shared a bro moment and since wala siyang close friend - guy or gal - he found himself confessing to Alden na meron din shang nagugustuhang babae pero he doesn't know how to go about courting her.

IKE: Ako din nagulat, pero it is what it is. She's fascinating and I really want to get to know her better.

ALDEN: She is really a great person. One of the select few decent females dito sa office.

IKE: That's what I'm hearing.

ALDEN: Hindi kami uber close, but I've gotten to know her quite well over the course of the last few months, so you better be sure seryoso ka sa kanya or else lagot ka sa akin.

Ike raised a brow at the unveiled threat he read loud and clear sa response ni Alden. A part of him got irritated 'coz of Alden's over protectiveness towards his apple of the eye, but another part of him understood why Alden's reaction was like that; if their roles were reversed he'd be overprotective of her too like he was of Maine regardless how their relationship ended.

IKE: I hear you. And since we are warning each other here, I know you knew Maine way before I met her, but remember, I was her ex-boyfriend so I earned the right to be protective of her too. Make sure you're serious about her dahil once na masaktan mo siya, hindi lang kay Pao ikaw magkakaproblema.

# # # # #

ALDEN WASN'T EXPECTING IKE'S RESPONSE to be a warning of his own concerning Maine. He got irritated dahil protective siya towards Maine, especially since sinaktan na niya si Maine when he chose his career over her, pero he also understood where he was coming from. Ike already hurt Maine before and over the weekend, during their rare no holds barred bro moment, Ike confessed na he hated himself for not thinking about his relationship with Maine before. Now that she was back in his life again and she agreed to give friendship with him a shot, he promised to not screw that up and actually earn Maine's friendship and treat it better than he treated their previous relationship.

ALDEN: Good. I'm glad nagkaintindihan tayo.

==============================

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Whoa! I think my muse is working overtime here coz look, I finished yet another chapter! And I think this one's filled with some itty-bitty goodies for you readers to chew on and ponder. And thanks for your undying support for this story. Your comments and votes are awesome encouragement that keeps my muse happy and creative.