Prologue

Prologue

In my seventeen years of life, I had never imagined this would happen to me.

And what a long journey it had been to this moment.   

From moving from Los Angeles, to a small Indian Reserve hidden near a strangely named town. To meeting Jacob Black, the best thing that ever happened to me.

To finding myself surrounded by a world I’d always thought was just in books or movies.

To werewolves and vampires…

To being killed by one.

 I was finally faced with the end of my short life. I never thought this was how I would die.

Looking into the eyes of my future killer, a sadistic smirk on his face. His cold hands wrapped around my neck, surrounded by the trees in the forest of Washington.

Salty tears ran down my cheeks as I shivered with fear, waiting.

 All I could do was wait.

Wait for my killer to make his next move and finally let death take me with open arms. Poor Jacob was forced to watch, as he taunted him with a laugh that reeked with pure malice. Jake’s eyes screamed with rage but softened as he looked into mine and I saw nothing but remorse and sadness.

“I’m so sorry Nina. I’m so sorry.” Jake said to me, his pain oozed from his words.

“Any last words, sweet Nina?” He whispered in my ear. I froze as I felt his cold breath on my neck. My first mind wanted to insult him before he stole my last breath, but my I couldn’t find the heart to do it; not with Jacob standing there; My Jacob with tears threatening to come down his beautiful face.

“Jake…” I said softly. His jaw clenched as he waited for me to continue.

“I love you…”

*added in 2/16/2014