Chapter 7

The week starts off pretty easy for the six agents of the BAU but they all know not to get comfortable. When lunch time rolls around Morgan invites everyone out for lunch especially Reid because none of them have seen much of the younger agent outside the office so he agrees. Hotch said he was busy and couldn't and Rossi said that he had something to take care of so the rest of them including Garcia left for lunch and Rossi went into Hotch's office and closed the door.

AH: Did you need something?

DR: I've been waiting for a couple of days now for you to come talk to me about what's been occupying your mind but I know you so I decided to come to you instead.

AH: What do you mean, there's nothing occupying my mind.

DR: Like I said I know you Aaron, have for a long time now talk to me.

AH: Okay... Sp- Reid has been staying the last two weekends over at my place and it's been really nice. He and Jack get on like a house on fire and they're always ganging up against me but I wouldn't change a thing, Jack even invited him to his soccer game this weekend.

DR: And what about you... how has it been for you?

AH: It's been really good having him there and I can't wait for the weekends to see if he'll be coming again. Last Sunday he made smoothies for when I came back from my jog and sometimes he just waits for me to come back with a cup of coffee for me.

DR: Aaron...

AH: I know, I know... I'm rambling.

DR: No, you're just trying to cover up the fact that you've developed feelings for him... badly might I add.

AH: I didn't go looking for it, Dave.

DR: But that doesn't change the fact that it's there now.

AH: I know and that's what confuses me the most.

DR: I don't think it does Aaron, you have feelings for him but that isn't what's messing your head up. That's probably the one thing you're sure about.

AH: There are so many things to consider before I can do anything about it.

DR: No there isn't, there's just one to consider and that's your son's feelings on all of this. Everything else only comes after you've talked to Reid.

AH: It's not that easy, Dave.

DR: It is actually and you're just trying to overcomplicate it.

AH: I'm scared.

...

...

DR: Maybe it's your turn to just take a chance and see where it leads you, I mean what's the worst that can happen if he doesn't reciprocate?

AH: He could leave the team and that would be my fault.

DR: Reid wouldn't leave the team. We're his family Aaron and nothing can change that.

AH: ...

DR: Just think about it Aaron, really think about it.

AH: I will.

DR: And if it helps, I think the two of you will be good for one another. (He smiled)

AH: Thanks Dave.

...

...

When Reid gets to the office on Wednesday he notices that Hotch is the first one to arrive but his mind is quickly drawn away from his boss when he notices the gift bag on his desk. Once opened, he finds a red soccer jersey with Jack's school logo printed on the front and the words 'HOTCHNER' printed in white on the back. He smiles up at Hotch's office before taking the gift bag to his locker with his go-bag.