Chapter 9

AH: Okay now...

SR: Can I talk first and you uh listen or like...

AH: It's okay Spencer, I'm listening,

SR: Uh, I've never actually been in a relationship serious or otherwise and that's because I'm not really comfortable around a lot of people and people who don't know me can't look over my intelligence to actually give me a chance so I just stopped trying but then you came around... After everything that happened with my mom and dad, I never thought I'd want to be part of a family again but then you and Jack invited me into yours without any problem and I couldn't deny my feelings any longer. I don't have to explain myself to you Aaron because you understand me probably better than anyone else on the team and I'm scared that if I let this go I won't ever find something like this again but I'm also scared that if I go along with it and something happens down the line and I lose you that I won't be able to recover again. I won't be able to deal with that.

AH: The status of any relationship is never set in stone and I'm sorry that I can't promise that but what I can promise is that I'm in this for the long run Spencer, I want you to be a part of my family and that's a big promise for me personally because of my history with family and letting people close enough to hurt me but I want to do it for you, for us... if you're willing to take this chance with me.

SR: Don't hurt me Aaron, I've had too much in my life and I'm not even thirty. I won't be able to handle anymore.

AH: I promise you Spencer, I will never purposefully hurt you but the same goes for you. I may be the stoic leader of the BAU but I also hurt so you have to be careful with me too.

SR: I will, I promise.

AH: So are we going to do this?

SR: I really want to.

AH: Me too. (He smiled opening his arms for Spencer)

They stood in silence in each other's arms for a little while longer until that silence was disturbed by a message on Aaron's phone. He pulled away from Spencer and looked at his phone laughing at the message.

*J: Can I come down now?

SR: What?

AH: Jack's asking if he can come down. (He said with a laugh)

*AH: Sure buddy.

SR: Does he know or do you want to keep it between us?

AH: I told him this afternoon when I picked him up from school. I hope that's okay.

SR: I don't know what I would have done if you wanted to keep it from him.

AH: It's his life too, needed his seal of approval.

J: And I said yes faster than you can think of a million facts, probably not but anyways.

SR: Thank you.

J: Now you can leave more of your things here or even all of them.

SR: I'm still not moving in Jack.

J: Yet. (He smiled going to the kitchen)

The three of them made themselves comfortable in the living room to watch a movie with the takeaways that they had ordered.

...

Their usual morning routine came into play again the following morning because everyone was going to work and school. When they got to the parking structure Aaron turned to Spencer with a smile.

AH: I wanted to ask you something before our work day officially starts.

SR: Okay, go ahead.

AH: Do you want to go on a date with me Friday night cases permitting of course?

SR: I would love to Aaron.

AH: Okay, I will let you know about the place and time later on.

SR: Okay, enjoy your day today.

AH: You too.

The week has been kind and less stressful than usual for the BAU agents not that anyone of them has been complaining. When Friday rolled around both Aaron and Spencer were happy something that didn't go unnoticed by their confidants Dave and JJ.

Aaron sent Spencer the name of the restaurant as well as the time for their reservation and the two men agreed to meet there. Aaron arrived at the restaurants and went in so that they didn't lose their reservation.

SR: I'm so sorry that I'm late. (He said slightly out of breath as he sat down)

AH: Ten minutes isn't that late, don't worry.

The waiter came and took their drink orders before leaving them in an awkward silence.

AH: So hair troubles? (He teased in order to get rid of the awkwardness)

SR: Yes actually, time kind of got away from me when I got home and then when I got out of the shower my hair somehow got all tangled up so I had to fix that first and then I couldn't focus because I was stressed and thinking I'd be late so yes...

Aaron just sat there smiling at Spencer's nervous rambling until their waiter brought their drinks and took their food orders.

SR: Do you think that I should cut it?

AH: Cut what?

SR: Do you think I should cut my hair shorter?

AH: No. Leave it the way that it is, I like it that way.

SR: Oh, okay. I like it this way too, it's just a hassle sometimes.

AH: Especially when you're in a rush.

AH: Yeah uh, something like that. (He said fiddling with loose strands of hair for the umpteenth time)

Aaron took a hold of the hand messing with the hair and held it on the table.

AH: You don't have to be nervous okay, we're both here for the same reasons and I want us to enjoy ourselves.

SR: Do you know why the two of us get along as well as we do? (He asked holding on tighter to Aaron's hand letting him know that he doesn't want him to let go)

AH: Tell me why Dr Reid.

SR: We both have fundamentally similar backgrounds and we have both achieved a lot more things than most people in our respective age groups. So we understand each other on another level and... I never thought I'd find someone that gets that and you-you have no idea how happy it makes me to have you Aaron.

AH: Is this the part where I say that you make me feel younger again? (He joked)

SR: Aaron.

AH: But you really do make me happier Spence and I need to consider Jack in every decision that I make that'll have an effect on him and you should see how he lights up whenever he hears that you're coming over. I never thought that I'd see him this happy after everything that's happened but you've brought back that spark in his eyes... in our eyes.

SR: Thank you. Thank you for inviting me into your family. Showing up at your house that night was the best decision that I've ever made.

AH: And inviting you in and insisting that you stay the weekend was the best decision I ever made.

They finished their date with large smiles on their faces and happiness in their eyes as Aaron drove them back home.

...

�94��m�