Chapter 32 - Deceived

“Hey Nan.” I answered, trying my best to sound as warm as I could put out, and not to sound so distracted and stressed.

“H-Hello my darling, how have you been?” She asked me, sounding somewhat…shaken? I had no idea why though, as I wasn’t seeming to sense anything from her, which I thought was a little odd. I decided then to keep my defences up.

“I’ve been, um, well, busy, should I say. How about yourself?” I asked her, with a bit more enthusiasm in my tone than before.

“I’m…fine, my dear. Listen, I, I need to be quick, but I would love it if we could catch up? I would love to see your new place. I’ll be down there Tuesday night, being tomorrow, I will be there at say, 7pm?” She pleaded, trying to shield the desperation in her tone with her natural warmth. Yet something seemed off about it. I had no idea why she was so desperate for me to agree.

I had to think about it for a moment; I mean, how on earth was I going to get there tomorrow? Would I have to escape again or somehow convince Will to take me? “Nan, I…” I trailed off, having been cut off.

“Ok dear I need to go but I will see you then. I love you.” She told me, before abruptly hanging up. What the? There was something odd about the entire conversation, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. I couldn’t sense anything from her and it was doing my head in. I immediately tried to call her back, but it went straight to her message bank, as if her phone had now been turned off. Odd. It seemed that I couldn’t cancel now, so I just had to decide what I was going to do.

I sat up in bed, realising that I had been sleeping way too often recently. I mean, what was with that anyway?! I couldn’t understand why I’d felt so drained all of the time, there had to be some sort of explanation for it. I had an incline that it was related to these stupid so called ‘witch’ powers of mine. Will did tell me that they involved this extra brain power and energy, and perhaps that was the reason; I was using up much more energy than a normal person, without even realising it.

I needed to do something, to help take my mind off of the chaos that had now consumed my life. I looked to the window and noticed that it was a beautiful day out, so I decided to head outside and nestle myself in the garden out the back, which I remembered was quite beautiful. I made my way out of my bedroom, through the hall and down the stairs, through the kitchen and out the back door. The beautiful scent of the roses and other gorgeous flowers had filled my nose as the light spring breeze caressed my skin. I missed the outdoors, it was something that I wasn’t seeming to get a lot of lately, and I was starting to look a slight bit pale as a consequence.

I decided then to lie down in the sun and work on my tan. I was sure that with the sun being this bright it would be highly unlikely for a vampire, such as Sebastian, to come and attack me now. I felt somewhat safe, for the moment, or so my vibes were telling me. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and decided to text Summer. I wasn’t in the mood for talking yet I gravely worried about how she’d pulled up after the chaotic situation of the previous week.

‘Hey Sum. How are you feeling? Didn’t see you this weekend, what did you get up to? M xx’ Is what I texted her. I was hoping that this was a sly way of finding out whether Sebastian’s ‘convincing’ had worked or not. After about two minutes she had already written back.