Chapter 39 - Depressed

I was beginning to see my most treasured memories, like vivid clips from my past blending into one another as a vintage themed slideshow. The day I graduated from primary school in that bright pink dress. My first day of high school where I'd met that outrageously bubbly girl who I since became best friends with, who I now knew as Summer. My first kiss at the mere age of fourteen, with that kind of geeky looking boy at that underage disco, who ended up giving me severe tonsillitis the next day. My high school graduation on that cool winter night, followed by devouring an entire bottle of Passion Pop champagne and throwing up for the first time from alcohol. That miserable and stormy day when I received that daunting phone call about my parents at that supermarket. The day that I saw Will for the first time, standing there in the college hall, looking all bad boy sexy and making me act like a complete awkward idiot...

But then my flashbacks were interrupted with an image of a familiar man in my mind, an image of...Joel. But I thought he was dead? "Miranda please listen to me. That's not me lying out there, dead. Things aren't what they seem. I tried to prevent you from this whole situation but it didn't work. You need to concentrate, don't let the wave go whatever you do...Miranda..." His voice began to fade and the intense pain in my head was slowly diminishing.

I snapped my eyes open again and realised that Will was hovering over me, shaking my shoulders, as I was helplessly lying there on the sand beneath him. He was frantically trying to shout something at me, but because everything seemed to be happening in slow motion, all of his words just sounded like a big jumbled up mess all merged into one. I moved my focus from his frantic face over towards the ocean, noticing how he was frightfully eying it. And then everything came rushing back to me, and I realised that a massive tsunami was headed straight for us, and within a matter of seconds we were about to be destroyed.

I shoved Will away from me and sat up, desperately trying to pull myself up to stand, but pathetically failed, needing Will to steady me. I took in a deep breath and closed my eyes shut. I realised that I was running out of time and there was probably literally less than ten seconds before the impact. I pictured the blue ocean in my mind; its energy, the way it was rushing toward us. I desperately tried to imagine it coming to a halt, slowing down before me. I then felt Will's hand in mine, squeezing tightly, almost like some form of reassurance that he was there for me, no matter what was going to happen.

The second his hand found mine, I instantly relaxed, somehow feeling comforted that there was someone there, no matter how angry I was at him. Someone who was worth living for, someone who was worth facing my demons for. I concentrated hard on the wave as it continued to advance on us. I opened my eyes now, afraid that perhaps I was too late, but what I saw was a mass of water, still high in the sky, but hovering there, about two metres in front of my face. I felt a few drops of water splash onto my skin, and I exhaled a very deep breath that I'd been clutching onto with dear life.

Now that I had the wave within my hold, I was beginning to feel increasingly weak, almost as if the energy was being drained out of me rapidly. I flailed on my feet for a moment, triggering Will to take a hold of my waist to steady me. "Miranda, are you ok?" I heard him ask me, looking completely and utterly concerned still.

"I'm losing it Will, I don't know how much longer I can hold on, it's draining all my energy." I told him, my voice shaking in fear.

"You can do it Miranda, I know you can. You need to put it back, just in the same way that you raised it." He told me with the most calm and soothing tone that it made my heart melt.

I took in another deep breath, with Will still holding me up, and closed my eyes once more. I pictured the water levelling off, moving backwards into the ocean, evening out in the way that it was before. I then felt its energy connecting with me, as it slowly began to move in the way that I'd pictured it to. The more I'd moved it, the more my energy was being depleted, and I couldn't help but fall to the floor on my knees in an exhausted heap.