P r o l o g u e

[ S t a y  H i d d e n ]

I lived with my mom in Boston. We lived in a comfortable townhouse. I liked my house, it had a huge backyard full of flowers and trees. Since I was a kid, I played a lot in the backyard with my aunt when my mom went to work. I didn't know much about my dad, no pictures of him either. Everytime I asked my mom about dad, she always said one day I would meet him, and our conversation didn't go any further. She seemed pretty cool about dad leaving her. If I were her, I would be devastated.

My age was 18. Maybe you think my life was like other teenage life, full of young love, alcohol and parties. Well that worked for normal people. I didn't feel normal – and everything I saw every day was definitely not normal. I saw ghosts, monsters, and humans fighting monsters. I told my mom everything I saw and she said,

"Just ignore them. Don't let them affect you. If you see something that is not normal, don't panic, don't interact with them, and stay away."

"Why?"

"You'll know someday."

After that, I ignored everything. I saw real people got hurt after a fight with a monster yet I couldn't do anything to help. I felt terrible. Everytime the incident happened right before me, I had to shut my eyes and walk away as if nothing happened.

I went to public high school. I had a hard time catching up my grades because I had dyslexia. I had to study extra hard every pop quiz or basic daily assignment. I found it hard to stay focused, I just had to do something that required more body movement. I couldn't just sit and listen to my teacher lectures. Basically, my high school was hell. I had friends though, three of them, but they were genuinely kind to me.

At home I preferred to spend my free time listening to music, read books, draw random things and study with my aunt. You would think this was weird, but my aunt was more clever than all teachers in my school combined. She taught me how to exercise and weapon usage, also one of the most important lessons for her, history of Greek Mythology. Thanks to her, my body was fit and had a good reflex. She made me strong and smart. I loved my aunt so much.

"Mom, is Aunt Selene coming today?"

"No, why?" said my mom across the room.

"I'm going to the bakery."

"Okay!! Phoebe, don't forget to get my honey buns!"

"I won't!" I put on my white shirt, denim jeans, and a pair of black vans. I used my free time to do a part-time job in a bakery. It helped my mom to get extra money and the best part was because I worked in the bakery, I got 20% off each item in the bakery. How cool was that?

"Hey, Mrs. Holden." I said as I entered the bakery.

"Oh, hello my dear." Mrs. Holden lived with her husband, Tom, on the second floor of the building. Tom was the master of pastry in here, he baked every morning with Mrs. Holden. They were very kind to people, I was so glad they were my boss. I worked as a cashier and in charge of bread and cake arrangement.

"Phoebe dear, can you put those cookie jars next to the window so people could see? I just decorated them with ribbons. Do you think they're pretty?" Mrs. Holden showed me jars full with blue and yellow ribbons.

"They look amazing. You did a great job."

"Thank you." Mrs. Holden smiled warmly. "If you need me, I will be in the back watching Netflix."

"Aye aye captain!" I said excitedly. Mrs. Holden laughed at me and went upstairs slowly. I started to put the cookie jar near the window. Just then, something caught my eyes. In the sky, a group of monsters with wings flew across the town. I put the cookie jar down, my feet walked backward till I hit the table behind me, I felt my body tremble.