C h a p t e r T w o

[ A  G i f t ]

I was officially a homeless teenager until I solved all of this. I already bought train tickets to New York. While we waited for the train, Mitchell and I went inside a fast food restaurant to buy burgers. Mitchell looked like a mess. He said he didn't sleep at all last night and didn't eat. I skipped breakfast because of that damn monster. I forgot the name. My aunt told me once about a giant metallic bird. What was it called? Stympphs Bird? Symphtomps Bird? Argh, I'd just call them Stupid Bird.

"Come on, we got the burgers!" I said, Mitchell jumped excitedly. "We cannot eat it here. We have to go to the train station okay?"

"Yes." He nodded. He locked his hand with mine while we walked, "You haven't told me your name."

"Oh, really?" I totally forgot about that. "My name is Phoebe."

"That's a pretty name."

I smiled at him. "How old are you Mitchell?"

"I'm 10." I only nodded. He was only ten and monsters already attacked him. How about me? I was 18 years old and they just attacked me. How could I hide from all those monsters? Was it all because of Mom? Since she knew about this all along.

"The train is here!"

"Great, come on!" I grabbed his hand so he would not get lost. Mitchell sat next to me. The train wasn't as crowded as usual, maybe because it was already 9 o'clock, everybody must've arrived at their school or office. I gave the burgers to Mitchell. He immediately ate the burger a second after the paper wrappers opened. I could tell he was really hungry. After he finished, Mitchell looked sleepy.

I patted my thighs. "Here, sleep in my lap." He didn't argue, he was asleep right after his head touched my lap. I took out my iPod and listened to some music. God, I needed this to pump up my energy.

The journey would take about 3 hours and 35 minutes, there would be six stops. It should be okay but I couldn't help but feel anxious. What if other monsters attack us again? I couldn't calm myself down. After the fourth station stop, I opened my backpack, I was curious what was inside this bag. Actually everything was pretty normal. Mom gave me money, my phone, two shirts, one blue denim shorts, and a sack of coins. Wait, what kind of coins were this? That coin symbol wasn't a liberty statue or Washington Palace, it was someone else's face, but they looked like they came from the ancient greek era. God, this was getting weird.

"What a nice coin you have."

I jolted out, surprised because of that voice. I looked up and saw a man who sat across my seat, he looked a bit old with a few strands of white hair. How come I didn't notice him before. "Uhm, yeah." I put the coin back slowly. "I don't think this coin is available in this country though."

"Of course not. That's drachma." He said

"Drachma? You mean Greece monetary?"

He moved his pupils down to Mitchell. "Is that your brother?" he pointed to Mitchell, he was still asleep.

"He is not my real brother, but I consider him my brother." I rubbed his head. I just met Mitchell yesterday, but I already had feelings that I should protect him. How could I reject that innocent smile, he was just a kid, it was too hard for him to handle monsters at such an age. I couldn't bear it if I let him die. Just like in my dream.

"That is good then." He nodded. "I'm Paul. I'm a professor in Boston University." He reached out my hand.

I shook his hand. "I'm Phoebe and I'm just a teenager." I smiled a bit.

"Oh no you are not." He muttered but loud enough for me to hear it.

"Sorry?"

"I will be gone in the next station." He said. "But, I have a present for you because you are such a brave young woman. You take care of your brother." I was about to answer when he took out a bundle of fabric and gave it to me. "You have to open this when you have arrived at the café."