11

Fly Me to the Moon ~Frank Sinatra
The journey through the brilliant yet suffocating darkness of space seemed to last forever. Especially with Matt rapping 'Buttermilk Biscuits' by Sir MixALot in the back of his lion the entire way.

Usually Lance would join in, but today the stars seemed so dark. He was afraid to get back to the others. He glanced back for a moment, trying not to keep his eyes off his course for too long. "You remember the asylum, right?"

"How could I forget? You and Keith were all over each other like peanut butter on bread." He pointed a finger inside his mouth as if gagging. "Why?"

Lance pursed his lips. "I don't think Keith does."

Keith listened to the conversation over the comms in silence. The asylum? What had happened there? Especially between he and Lance? Lance seemed pretty broken up about it too. He shook the thought from his mind. They'd only gone on a mission for a few hours, it hadn't taken that long. He could recall every single detail. He didn't know why Pidge needed the data but she'd be happy to have it. They took a little too long, so Pidge might be a little impatient. It seemed like Lance and Matt were talking months.

"Well, did you see the way that glow ran up his leg just before he grabbed the book? Maybe that's what made him forget?" Matt suggested.

"The Galra would never make him just forget. Which makes you wonder, what else did they do to him?" Lance refocused on his route. Only a few more vargas until the castle, and who knew what awaited them there? "Also, didn't Keith say he was injured? I saw the blood, but he didn't seem injured to me."

A silence blanketed the ship. Neither of them spoke for several moments. It seemed unreal. An extensive trip towards whatever laid ahead, in a giant lion, with a guy who really liked Sir MixALot. "Did you miss the real Pidge?"

"Katie?" He refocused his gaze on the wall. "Yeah. All the time man. I mean you try to act like you're fine or whatever, right? Just keep a smile on. But honestly, I wished so badly that I could go and find her and tell her that I'm still here. And dad. He and I got separated. The last thing I heard was him crying out in pain." He inhaled deeply and a smile bloomed on his face. "I can't wait to see her man."

Tears grew in Lance's eyes. The thought of seeing his family again was overwhelming. His real family. He wanted to just 180 and land on his doorstep. But he couldn't. He had to get back to the team. They needed him far more than his family did right now.

They were his family.

Keith stared at his lap. It must be strange, to have a permanent family? He'd never really had anyone in his life. He'd never known his mom. He'd had his dad for a bit, and then, much later, Shiro. He guessed he was pretty excited to see him again.

Lance started to sing some song in Spanish that neither Keith nor Matt recognized, badly. He began to make his lion sway a bit. Matt chuckled and clutched the seat.

Keith rolled his eyes and started to sing a little himself.

Lance immediately silenced, remembering how he'd sung in the asylum. His voice was astonishing. Matt smiled and leaned back, closing his eyes as Lance's lion continued to sway. Keith didn't seem to notice. He was in his own little world right now, just owning Sinatra.

"He used to sing me to sleep, I don't think he remembers anymore." Matt whispered.

Lance shook his head sadly. He missed that, Keith singing to him.

"Hey Keith." Lance said softly over the intercom. "We're almost home."

Keith nodded contentedly, he could stand Lance right now, even if for just a moment. And maybe right now, just maybe, he could remember something. A glimpse of the two in their hospital clothes, Keith singing gently. Everything was so peaceful.

Madness ~Muse

"Keith! Look out!" Lance yelled.

Keith's pupils rapidly dilated as he looked over the scene around him.

"The castle is under attack!" He called out the obvious and dodged a beam.

Keith was hit and an ache ran through his body, as if he could feel his lions pain. He was suddenly in battle mode, eyes steely with concentration. He started ducking and diving around ships, shooting the attacking fleet.

An odd swelling sensation filled Lances chest upon seeing the castle and the other lions. The comms reactivated with Shiro telling commands. "Okay, its only been the three of us for a few months now, you know the drill, spread!"

"Aye aye captain." Pidge replied and started shooting at other ships. Some of them with normal blasts and others with plant blasts. The plants burst from the ships hulls and crumpled them like old soda cans.

Lance joined in and started freezing ships, Hunk coming by and shattering them.

"Hey, guys... the ships are-" Hunk glanced towards the next freezing blast. "The blue lion!" He yipped excitedly. He had no idea whether or not Lance was in there but any extra help was greatly appreciated. Although Lance could hear them, he couldn't reply. So he just kept on helping and waiting for the battle to be over so they could land on the ship.

"And the red lion!" Pidge said with excitement. "I don't know if you can reply, but thanks for the help." Tears streaked down her cheeks. This could be them. After a year without, this could really be them. After losing Matt she really couldn't stand to lose another brother. So losing two was a hard hit on her, more than the rest of the team. Her search for her family began anew, now with two more members lost. She entirely left the team for a while until realizing that being two lions down had hit them hard enough, three, and they would lose everything. So she came back. But after 5 months, everyone had given up hope that they'd still be out there. Even the little hope they felt blooming in their chest had to be stifled. What if these were just new paladins? It would explain why they weren't communicating with the team.

"Lance? Keith?" She tried to clear her throat, her voice wet with sobs. "Is that you?"

Lance had the overwhelming urge to yell 'yes!' And he almost did until he remembered that the comms didn't work.

Keith caused another ship to go down in a fiery burst. "So, um, why exactly is Pidge crying?"

"Dude." Lance paused for a moment, Keith really didn't remember. "We've been gone a year."