16

Matt and Pidge were packing up a ship with materials for his mission. The girl was barely holding herself together. "You'll visit, right?" She swallowed back sobs, her gaze stubborn, not allowing no for an answer.

"Yeah, of course, when I get the chance I'll update you. And I'll get in contact with you as often as possible if I can't get back." Matt hated to leave Pidge, but more than that he hated to just sit in the castle and watch the others save the universe.

Shiro walked in with a black skin-tight suit in his arms. "I came to help load, and give you this, it may work better than normal clothes, and it's very durable." He handed it to Matt.

Matt took it and ran his hand over the fabric. "Thank you, Shiro." He limped over and pulled Shiro into a bro-hug, Shiro returned the favor.

They carried a few more things over to the ship. Matt mopped his brow then put his hands on his hips. "I think that's all. I should get headed soon."

Shiro looked down at his feet and then back up at Matt. "You'll find him, I'm sure."

He nodded stiffly. "That's the plan, at least. Take care of my sister, will you?"

"That's always been my main goal, but she's usually been better off taking care of herself. She's braver than you know." He glanced over at Pidge, who was absently tinkering with the ship.

Matt smiled. "I'll see you around, alright?"

Shiro smiled warmly and watched him limp back over to the ship. He hated to see him leave so soon, but he had this certain spark in his eyes, and Shiro knew that whatever he did out there, it would be great.

Matt embraced Pidge again then hopped onto the ship. "I'll be back before you know it." He waved then pulled out into the endless void of space, and towards his future.

Pidge dropped to her knees and held her hand out, sobbing as she watched him go. Her chest quivered with heartbroken cries. Shiro was at her side in a moment, arm around the girl who was like a little sister to him and staring out into the vastness of space with her. He didn't say anything, knowing that sometimes silence spoke louder than any words he could say.

She leaned into his arms and closed her eyes, tears streaking down her face.

Keith looked around the corner at Shiro cradling Pidge, and he knew he couldn't board a ship and go. He couldn't hurt anyone on the team like that. If he did leave, Lance would be in that same position.

...

"I thought you said he didn't leave?!" He whirled quickly to Hunk.

Hunk looked around and shrugged. "I don't know. If he did leave it wasn't through that door."

"Quiznak!" Lance broke into a run down the halls towards the ships. He wouldn't get away without... without what? He obviously didn't want to be here. And it was just hitting Lance that he had never been a good enough reason for him to stay.

...

"Not on my ship." Allura struck Keith in the back of the neck, hitting a pressure point. Keith barely had time to cry out before he dropped like a sack of potatoes. "Coran, I found a Galra invader on our ship. I haven't the slightest how he got on, but could you help me bring him to a holding chamber?"

Coran was there within moments. They threw him into the cell then walked out and locked it behind him. Allura looked over him with cold distaste.

"Odd apparel for a Galra, don't you think?" Coran commented. "That jacket seems sort of familiar."

"It does, doesn't it?" She tilted her head. "I'm sure it's nothing, let's get back to the mess hall, we've got a big day of defeating Zarkon ahead of us." She walked dutifully back to the main control room and hit the comm. "All paladins please report to the main room and await further instruction."