17

Rag'n'Bone Man ~Skin
Lance stayed by Keith's bed all night. He put a cold rag on his head and waited on him patiently, making sure he was staying hydrated and having Hunk on call to make him breakfast the moment he started to stir. Coran had come in and did his best to heal most of the major damage, now all they could do was wait.

Lance paced Keith's room impatiently. He wanted to kill Allura, make her feel the same pain that Keith had gone through at her despicable hands. But he couldn't.

He folded his hands behind his back, trying to quell the anger boiling inside him. He could not kill Allura, no matter how much he absolutely despised her.

...

"You did what?" Shiro asked incredulously.

"I don't know. I saw a Galra and something took over me. I never in my wildest dreams..." she trailed off, tears streaking down her cheeks. "You must know that I wasn't aware it was Keith."

"Yes, but what did you say after that? That it didn't matter, that he was just a no good Galra?" Shiro still couldn't believe what she'd done. It was astoundingly cruel and out of character.

"Yes, I've never liked the Galra. Shiro, you must forgive me. I came here to confide in you, not have you question my choices." Allura sounded weary and a bit angry, entitled.

"And I must say that I don't give a flying quiznak about why you came here! Purple or not he's still my brother!" Shiro was usually very level headed, but he could feel this anger that he couldn't bite back running through his veins.

Suddenly, he was riding back seat in his own body as Allura talked. Whoever was in control was ready to strike.

Keith had been around the corner, he was leaning heavily on Lance. He had come down to get breakfast. As he saw Shiro's hand raised he dashed in front, pushing the princess out of the way and taking the blow himself. A sharp cut to the upper bicep, deep and sweltering.

Shiro's eyes glowed purple as a voice that was not his own erupted from his chest. "How dare you, you sniveling little-" the voice stopped and Shiro snapped back into reality. He stared down at Keith, who was already so fragile due to what Allura had done yesterday, he could barely afford another wound.

Lance had tried to stop Keith, knowing he was going to do something stupid. But he simply tugged from his grip, with more strength than Lance knew he had, and saved the person who had almost killed him. Lance dashed to his side, all of this happening in a matter of seconds. He looked up at Shiro, not an ounce of hate in him. "What the quiznak was that man?" The question was lighthearted, gentle. He knew it hadn't been Shiro in control.

Shiro stared at his hand and a shiver ran through his body. "I have no idea." He could feel it boiling inside him every time he was angry or stressed. He never wanted to hurt anyone, only protect. Yet here he was with Keith crumbled and bleeding, but still trying to comfort him. Keith was strange in that way. At some times he could be self-centred and very logical, showing little emotion. But when it came to Shiro, he came out of his shell.

Allura was astounded. She stood up from Keith knocking her away. He couldn't believe he had just saved her, after what she'd done to him.

In all honesty, Keith hadn't been saving her, but rather trying to save Shiro from the guilt. He would never forgive himself if he had hit her. Maybe, with time, he could forgive himself for laying hands on Keith.