Sweet Tooth

Scribble: Her Ailment: The Cold; Prescribed medication: His warmth  

Story :   

Who doesn't like dessert? Finding an ice cream at the desert is like a dream come true. It's an heaven. It's a saying 'Dessert always find a way to the heart.' Enjoying ice cream in the winters has it's own perk, I tell you.

Sanyukta just wrapped herself around the blanket, in the bedroom covered in darkness with a sad face. After a long day, Randhir walked into his home only to encounter an awkward silence. He called out for his wife but she gave no response. He thought, maybe she is not back home still. So he marched towards bedroom. As he turned on the light, he found his love feeling cozy under the blanket. 'Sanyukta, what's the matter? Awaaz lagaya tumko. Tumne jawaab bhi nahi diya. All okay?' Randhir questioned as he unfolded his tie. Her mood swings choose not to answer his question. Unbuttoning his top 2 buttons of plain blue t-shirt, he settled himself besides her 'Bolo farzi. Aaj kaunsa naya khand kara tumne office me, jis vajah se tum muh latka ke baithi ho? Vo bhi andhere mein!' She scoffed 'Very funny, Shekhawat! Aisa kuch nahi hua' Randhir gave her an oh-really-is-it look. 'Dekho Sanyukta. Mein bahut thak chuka hu. Ek last time puch raha hu, kya hua. Agar jawab nahi diya naa, toh baad me mere se expect mat karna ki mein tumhari baat sunne wala hu' He let his tiredness speak. 'Okay. Fine! Aaj office me kisi ne ice-cream treat diya. Jaise mujhe pata chala, I got super excited and rushed for it. You know my craze for ice-cream. But ..' She made a puppy face and continued 'Jab tak mein udhar pahuchi ice-cream khatam! Mujhe ice-cream nahi mila.' Randhir added to her statement 'Aur fir tum, poora din aisa sadaa hua muh banake din nikaali office me. Aur fir, ghar aake aise bistar pe pasar gayi jaise tum bimaar ho' 'Ho gaya tumhara! Is me meri kya galti?' Her annoyance reflected all over face.

'Sanyu, jab aisa tha toh tum khudse kharid leti ice-cream. Yaa, ek baar mujhe bolti, ice cream laane ko' Randhir suggested her his opinions and added 'Mrs. Shekhawat, please khana paros do. Bahut bhook lagi hai. Fresh hoke aata hu.' He was about to enter the bathroom, she announced 'Aaj mein ne khana nahi banaya.' 'Kya! What? Kyun?' He was shocked. 'Abhi toh tumko reason bola' She snapped him down. 'Tumhare ice cream ke chakkar mein mujhe bhookha rehna padega. Chalo, koi nahi.' He thought, let's give her break from the kitchen. He picked his phone and dialled a number. 'Hello, Aziz chacha. Randhir bol raha hu, Symphony Apartments se.' The man on the other side spoke 'Haan, beta! Kya bheju tumhare ghar?' He ordered 'Chacha, 4 kulche, 1 paneer pasanda, 1 raita aur 1 dum aloo biryani. Kitne der me aayega yeh sab' The man on the other side assured 'Aadhe ghante ke andar bhejta hu.' He asked about the total cost of the order and the sum turns out to 320. He disconnected the call, took out the wallet and handed brand new green colored 500 note to Sanyukta and asked her 'Agar mein fresh hone ke pahele Chotu aata hai parcel leke toh uske paise de dena.' He got back to the bathroom while Sanyukta was still pondering over her ice-cream incident.

Tugging the towel across his waist line, Randhir walked out of the bathroom and saw his melodramatic queen still lost in her ice-cream land. He called her aloud 'Arey Sanyu! Don't be a kid yaar. Darwaza toh kholti. Kab se koi bell bajaa raha hai?' His words brought her back to the reality. Before she proceed to open the door, Randhir said 'Rehne hi do, tum! Plates lagaa do dining table pe at least. Mein dekhta hu, kaun hai' She nodded and stepped out the bedroom, started arranging the plates on the table. Slipping into his black square neck vest and shorts, he rushed to open the door. Taking the parcel and offering him the tip after getting back remaining change, he placed each box separately on the table. He served the food proportionately on the their plate. They started their meal. After few minutes, Sanyukta spoke 'Randhir, thank you so much. Mujhe laga tum mujhe khaana banane ko bologe.' Randhir replied 'It's okay, Sanyukta. Tum thodi exhausted lag rahi thi, upar se tumhara mood off tha. Someday, you don't feel like cooking or doing routine chores. It's pretty understandable. It's good to take a day off' She smiled at him as a devil idea stroke. 'Okay, Sanyukta. Don't give me that look! It turns me on' Randhir eyed her as he took a bite. 'Mujhe Natural's ki ice-cream khaani hai. Dinner ke baad tum mujhe leke chaloge. That's final.' Sanyukta ordered him in the bossy tone. 'Raat ke 11.00 baje tumhe ice-cream khaana hai, tumhara dimaag kharab ho chuka hai kya? Chalo ek baar, khilaa bhi deta. But, kya tumhe aaj ka temperature pata hai? Aaj Delhi ka temperature 4 degree hai. Itni thanda mein khaaogi ice-cream?' Randhir spoke his concerns in utter shock. 'Haa, khaaungi. 4 Degree temperature me. Bas mujhe khaana hai, toh khaana hai. Aur tum natak mat karo, tum mere husband ho, papa nahi. Apni patni ki baat maano aur le chalo mujhe ice-cream!' Sanyukta demanded. 'Shaanti se khaana khaane do, leke chalta hu.' Randhir finally agreed, later murmured 'Ajeeb hi musibat hai, yeh toh!'

After 15 minutes, Sanyukta quickly slipped into legging and simple floral printed yellow kurti, covering herself with shawl and announced 'Randhir, jaldi karo! Band ho jaayegi shop' 'Do minute, Sanyukta' He finished doing dishes. He quickly slipped into his black track pants and Fort Collins grey hoodie, grabbed wallet, cell phone, car key and house keys. Locking the door, they called for lift to get downstairs. They headed towards Natural's after initiating the car engine. The happy glow on her face made him satisfied and taunted her 'Bimaar padi naa tum toh dekhna. Mein tumhara khayal nahi rakhne wala hu. Bataa raha hu, abhi se.' She smiled in very kiddish way. 'Aww! Meri wife poori ki poori cute hai. Agar yeh steering ke jagah tumhare cheeks hote, toh mazaa hi aa jata.' He blushed after looking at her. She gave him a light punch. He parked the car in the safe zone and walked into the shop. Tugging his hand in the pockets of the track pant, he enquired 'So, Mrs. Shekhawat, kya khana prefer karengi aap?' She ordered one mulberry ice cream in the waffle cone while he ordered one cup of choco chunk. 'Why did I even order an ice-cream? I would have adored her enjoying every bite of her ice-cream & felt satisfied' He cursed himself while she gave every possible adorable expression as she licked her ice cream. Well, that was the best ice-cream date ever.

Two days later, here's the outcome of satisfying the craving for the ice-cream amidst of freezing cold night of Delhi. Yes, Sanyukta is down with fever and cold. Panicked Randhir rushed home on the blast of this news. 'Kaha tha mein ne tumko? Mat khaao ice-cream. Lekin nahi. Kar apni manmaani. Ab bhugto.' He immediately settled himself besides her on the bed, cursing her love of ice-cream while Sanyukta is busy cuddling herself under the blanket. 'Ab nikalo rajaai ke bahar, Sanyukta. Soup piyo aur dawaai lo.' She sneaked out a little to see angered furious face of Randhir's. Not missing that chance, he quickly snatched away the blanket off her, only to encounter Sanyukta's constant sneezes. Randhir forwarded her soup bowl. Sipping in first spoon of soup, she gave eww-it's-so-disgusting look and remarked 'Yeh soup hai yaa contaminated water?' Randhir shot a dare-you-to-start-your-nautanki look, making her gulp the entire soup quickly without any further complain. Finishing the soup, Randhir handed her the required medicines to swill down. Her shivers didn't go unnoticed by Randhir. He pulled her close to himself and wrapped her in his warmth of hug and asked her to vouch, never to have ice-cream in an icy-cold weather, to which she agreed. After all, his warmth was only prescribed medicine she need.

Some relation justify the concept of ice-cream and cone. No matter which flavor or how many scoops life add, you need always someone to stand along and hold you until you melt all away.

|-|-|- |-|-|- |-|-|- THE END -|-|-| -|-|-| -|-|-|