chapter nine

Does the wide end go behind or in front? Daniel huffs and grits his teeth as he continues to wrestle with his silk, pinstripe tie.

"Doesn't matter which way I do it. It's still always wrong," grumbles Daniel as he throws the tie onto his bed. He walks over to his black, oak dresser, opening the middle drawer, and begins to feel the top of the drawer. He pulls on the plastic bag, the aroma already beginning to fill his senses. He smiles, letting out a sigh, while engulfing the entire bag into his hand. Closing the drawer with his knee, he places the baggy onto his dresser. He looks towards his room door to ensure it is locked. He shrugs off his jacket suit and begins to unbutton his shirt. As his shirt joins his suit jacket on the bed, he heads towards his room's balcony, with the plastic bag in his pants pocket.

The feeling of the spring wind softly greets him. He pulls on a bottom brick from the wall, which hid a red lighter and zig zag. He sits with his back against the balcony railings and feet hitched up on the brick wall. He pulls the plastic bag from his pants' pocket and begins to prepare his blunt. Once he is satisfied with the wrapping of his blunt, he lights it, drawing in a long hit. He exhales, allowing the lightness to engulfed his senses. He lies his back against the floor, staring up into the vivid sky colours as they dance with one another.

Daniel's face prickled with warmth as he entered his room. He put the remains of his marijuana back into its rightful place, with the thought of reminding himself to buy more from Steve. He sprayed himself with a bit of Axe, then threw himself down backwards, onto his bed.

"FUCK," hissed Daniel, as he held onto his head to soothe the sharp pain. He looked behind to see the cause of his pain; his laptop. When his pain eased, he buttoned back his dress shirt and picks up his tie, to request help.

He hears the sound of water rushing from the sink before he knocks on the door.

"I'll be out in a minute," the voice retorts, almost inaudible. The noise of objects being put away in a rushed manner sound familiar to Daniel.

"Hey, Em. Emmy? Wanna open up the door," asked Daniel in a playful tone, but his intuition running high of adrenaline. He leans his forehead and shoulders against the door, as a mean of support, while his hand begins to turn pale from his grip on the doorknob.

"I'm almost done," she replies. Daniel hears the bathroom sink run once more, before hearing the door latch unlock.

Amelia pushes past Daniel, in her coral robe, retreating back to her room. Before she has a chance to fully close her door, an arm appears between the door and its pane. She snaps her head towards the cause of this interruption. Daniel gives her his cheeky smile, making his eyes appear smaller than usual.

"Would you be a doll and do this tie for me Emmy," he asked with a bat of his eyelashes. Amelia shifted from one leg to another with a sigh.

"Sure. But after I get dress," she replies. He rapidly bobs his head, bringing his hands together like a little dog, as he used to do when they were younger. Amelia giggled kicking him out of her doorway.

Daniel sat on the floor in front of her door, on his phone to past time. With each sound of the flappy bird dying, the more Daniel grew agitated.

"Amelia, are you done yet?"he exasperates.

"Hold on,"she replies. She opens her door to a foul smell and Daniel on the floor laughing.

"Ew. You're so fuckin disgusting,"she says pinching her tiny nose. She pushes the door farther for him to come in. He enters glancing at the bloody orange walls, his eyes laying on the redwood dresser Papa built her when she twelve.

"Still going strong! Nice," he says picking up a short clear bottle.

"Why do you need sun tanning cream," Amelia just shot him an incredulous look, as if the answer was obvious. Boys. They're just so stupid, she thought. She took the bottle from him, placing it back with the others. She held her hand out, waiting for the tie. Instead Daniel gave her a high five, and as a reflex she slapped him across the face.

"OW! What the fuck Amelia? It was a fucking joke," he yells as he holds his red cheek. He throws the tie onto the dresser.

"Don't cry, you big baby. I was just joking too,"she replies, squeezing the cheek her hand just came into contact with seconds ago. After Daniel stopped pouting, he rests his arms to his sides. Amelia picks up the tie, wrapping it under his collar.
As she is tying her tie, Daniel catches a glimpse of plastic, through the right sleeve of her sheer , beige dress. He continues to stare at it as of hoping his mind in just playing tricks with. It's just the weed.

"There. All done. I have once again outdone myself," she says with a tap on his chest. She looks up to a solemn Daniel, that begins to make her feel uncomfortable. Why was the only word he said. Amelia's stomach feels empty once again, and her breathing becomes heavy.

"What are talking about," she asks her voice cracking on the last word. She let's out a chuckle. "I have to finish getting dress, so," she says as she turns away from Daniel. A firm grip is on her wrist and she tries her best to swallows her sob.

"Why? Why Amelia," he asks one more time, this time with in a firm ominous tone.