chapter fourteen

"WE'RE ALIVE!" Teodor belts, throwing himself onto the school's floor, as a few girls walked by staring at him in bewilderment.

After Sahara finished getting dressed, she and her brothers hopped in their dad's seven seater truck and started for school. The beginning of the ride was running smoothly, but as per usual, Sahara's Driving Curse made the rest of the ride a little...difficult.

Russell hugs the brick wall. "I don't think I've been so happy to see this school." Sahara rolls hers eyes at her brothers' dramatic show.

"It wasn't even that bad! You guys are being idiots," she grunts, pursing her soft lips together. Now it's the two boys turn to stare at her, baffled.

The problems that had arise this morning while Sahara was driving, wasn't entirely her fault. She had to reroute twice due to two car collisions - none of them involving her, in which she was quite proud of herself for that. But then she made a right turn too early, almost getting hit by a garbage truck.

"Are you being serious Sar?" Russell asks, his eyebrows raised.

"YOU KILLED A SQUIRREL!" Teodors shouts, his arms raised high above his head. Sahara slaps his shoulder, telling him to be quiet; heat quickly rushing to her cheek as she looked to see if anyone heard Teodor's outburst.

She didn't mean to run over the squirrel. As she was traveling through a quiet neighbourhood to avoid more delay from the main intersections, they saw a small squirrel wanting to cross the road. So she had put the car at a slow pace, giving the small ceature a chance to cross the road but it looked as if the frail animal no longer wanted tocross. Until Sahara decided to give the pedal much gas -- then it was too late. After hearing the sounds of the bones crushing under the wheels, the car's atmosphere was silent until they reached school.

"If death isn't the worse thing, than I don't wanna know what is," Russell states tapping Sahara on her shoulders few times before telling them later. The bell rang, and Teodor and Sahara went their separate ways.

&&&&

Sahara's data quiz was quick. She looked through the pages, answering the ones she knew first but ten minutes into the quiz, people began handing in their paper; leading Sahara to lose her train of concentration, her mind coming up blank for answers. She tried her best to answer all the questions, hoping it's at least, added up to a passing grade.

Now she was in English class, her worries swept away as she stepped through the door. English class was one of the classes she did very well in. She could be getting a 90 in this class if it wasn't for all the presentations she has to endure.

None of her friends were in this class, so she usually sat alone, listening to others around her gossip.

Socializing was never an easy thing for her. Still isn't it. She felt she would always say the wrong thing, or bore others with what she had to say. She was more of a listener. Sahara always loves seeing the reaction of others, when she brought up something they thought no one was really listening to. She knew it made them feel as if someone cared for them. Made them feel special.

She sat in her seat, in the back of the class; away from any major attention. Her teacher, Mr. Harrison hasn't arrived yet, he was always losing track of time.

A small smile plays on the lips of Sahara as she looked through last night's pictures from Dushi Var. All the employees were like her extended family. They were all so close, Castro always wanted the opinion on various things for the restaurants from the staff. He never turned down an idea, only helped make them much better and livelier.

A group of boys enter the room singing, off tune in a low falsetto, We Can't Stop by Miley Cyrus, grabbing the attention of the students in the room. Sahara chuckled, but her lips quickly purses downwards when she notices a particular boy in the group.