chapter eleven

Sahara retreats to the kitchen to wait for her brother to come back. Quamar enters with just his menus, so she knows it'll be enough time to talk with him.

"Why are you just standing there," he asks.

"I can't go back out there. "

"Why?"

"Because they're intimidating. I don't wanna mess this up for mom and dad. Especially dad."

"C'mon Sahara. They're just people like you and I. You can do it. If dad had the sense to put you, of all people, as the star, then he knows what you're capable" he replies placing his hands on her shoulders, giving her a little shake. "Now get back out there."
Sahara nodded, smiling weakly, still not feeling the slight bit of confidence after Quamar's big brother pep talk.
She went over to the bar and order a Fruity Tanzy, that apparently was a very popular non-alcoholic beverage among the male diners. Before picking up the tray with the beverages, Sahara checked herself in glass counter, making sure there was not a curl out of place and her uniform was straight.

"Hey Mike. You don't happened to have any gum" she asks the young bartender. He looked at her suspiciously.

"Let me smell your breath,"

"What,"she stammered.

"You haven't been, yknow," Mike says then proceeds to do an action with his finger to his mouth.

"Oh no! I wasn't drinking. I just need to freshen my breath,"Sahara replies wide eyed. Mike nods, popping a gum into her palm. She takes it, giving him her gratitude. She picked up her tray, taking a few big and slow breaths before returning to the table.

"Hi again, sorry for taking so long," she places the water in front of the young woman and then in front of the boy.

"Would you like to order your meals now or should I come back in five minutes?"

"Yeah you see, oh I'm Daniel. Daniel Rio," the young boy says with a sly grin." We're not really hungry now--ow," he yells glaring at the young woman.

"Amelia," the older woman, Mrs. Rio says sternly, her green eyes fuming.

"Mom, I'm hungry now," Amelia says, her pink lips pouting. The older man finally comes off his phone to interfere with the problem that was arising between his children.

"Hey, you two. I don't have little children anymore, so quit acting like it. Daniel be quiet and let your sister order what she wants," he orders.

"Dad, I didn't do anything, I just--"

"I don't want to hear it."

"Oh gosh. I'm so sorry. Well Ill like to have the," Mrs. Rio pauses, reading off the menu. "The curry chicken with white rice, but instead of the rice, can I have the Greek salad on the side."

"Would you like your curry spicy or mild," Sahara asks, with her pen to the pad.

"Spicy," she says with a smile. Sahara nods and then looks at the others, waiting for the next order. Mr. Rio clears his throat, signaling that he was ordering next, with all eyes on him.

"Yes, what is in the red peas soup," he asks, staring intently at Sahara. Sahara takes a breath.

"It is soup made with red peas. But there's also boiled dumplings and potatoes in it, along with carrots." He nods his head.

"I will love that."

"I'll just have the Greek salad with no meat and no dressing, please and thank you," Amelia intercepted with a thin index finger, while Sahara nods and takes note.