~ pink promises ~

A few years had passed and things had changed for them. They got married for starters. Ryland proposed to Shane at the flower meadow. He thought it was the only place that seemed suitable for something like that.

It was a normal day, nothing particularly exciting was going on- well not that Shane knew of anyway. It was the day of the month where they went down to the meadow to sit back and enjoy the world around them, and as they had to miss it last month due to their work schedules, they were really looking forward for this visit.

They had brought a long a picnic with all their favourite foods with them, including a big birthday cake which Shane was looking forward to eat more than he was looking forward to playing with the flowers; which was saying a lot. Shane assumed Ryland had just fancied the cake and that's why they had it, but little did he know what it was really there to celebrate.

They spent the majority of the day collecting flowers of all different shapes and sizes, making them into small bouquets to give away to their friends and families- Shane's idea- and then they finally sat down to enjoy the picnic.

Their signature yellow blanket was laid down on the grass, the containers of food were placed down on top of the yellow, and either boy was sat on opposite ends of the blanket. It was a lovely day; the sun was out and beaming down on them, the birds were singing in their nests high up on the trees, the gentle breeze of the wind was nice and cool, taking the edge off the suns hot rays, and thin streaks of clouds scrapped along the azure sky.

After most of the food was demolished by the two boys, apart from the cake, Ryland pulled out a necklace he had made a few minutes ago from flowers while Shane was distracted by his own flower chain he was making. In the centre of the necklace hung the engagement ring he had picked up a few weeks ago. It was a plain silver band with one small pink rhinestone placed in the centre. He had had this idea bouncing around in his head for months and he was glad he had pulled it off so far. Now all he needed to do was give it to Shane and get the response he hoped for.

Shane averted his gaze away from the cake he had been eyeing up since it was pulled out of the wicker basket, and focused them on Ryland, who had all of a sudden became pale in colour.

"Are you okay Ry? Do you feel sick?" Shane asked, becoming slightly more worried when he noticed the sweat dripping down the side of Ryland's face. His mind went straight to the food, thinking it must have been something Ryland ate, but they had the same thing so why wasn't he feeling like this?

His confusion was cut off when Ryland shook his head and handed him the flower necklace. At first he thought it was just an ordinary necklace, as they would often make things like this for each other when they came here, but when he looked at it more carefully, he noticed something different.

He swore he felt his heart drop to his stomach when he realised what it was. Finally. He had been waiting for this day for longer than he could remember.

He looked up at Ryland, who's eyes were nearly as big as his, and stared at him with disbelief "Are you- Are we- Really?" Shane stuttered out, unable to make sense of himself. His mind was racing almost as much as his heart, his eyes were blurred with tears, his head was dizzy, his stomach fuzzy. So much was going on in his body that he could barely make sense of the things around him.

Ryland's head nodded, a hopeful but timid smile on his face. "If you want to." He whispered.

And of course Shane wanted to. He wanted to more than anything. So he said yes. He said yes and they cried. But the tears were soon wiped away when they remembered the cake sitting patiently on the blanket, waiting to be devoured by them.

The wedding was small- it was all they could afford- but it was also all they wanted. They couldn't afford to go on a big honeymoon, so instead they camped out at the meadow for a few days. Sure, it wasn't what most would call a honeymoon, but it's what they wanted. They packed a tent and the essentials, and didn't go home for three days. Thankfully Shane's family agreed to look after Uno for the three days they were away so they didn't have to worry about him running away in the meadow if they were too distracted by something or more likely than not, by someone.

Apart from the wedding, life had been pretty normal for them. They were still living in the same house, they still had the same car and Ryland still worked at the bakery. But there was one thing that had changed for the both of them, and that was the other pairs of feet now running around their house.