Chapter 3: Meeting Professor Moriarty

You and Holmes walk in the office of Professor Moriarty, who was playing an opera song. "Fischerweise Schubert, 1826." Holmes replied then he started to speak Latin as Moriarty and his assistant look over at him.

"Give up your foolish trickery." said Holmes.

"This fish you can not cheat." Moriarty finished.

"I hope we're not intruding." You said as you and Holmes walk in deeper to the office.

Moriarty looks between you two and said. "Excuse me." Then he turns to the tall young man next to him and whispered. "Please take these up to Mr Williams and make sure he packs my white tie and tails."  

"I'll take care of it, Proffessor." The man said.

"Thank you." Moriarty whispered then he looks back at you and Holmes as the young man walks out.

"I do apologize, I'm off in a blasted lecture tour. Would you care for some tea or coffee?" He asked.

"Neither." Holmes replied, quickly.

"No, thank you." You said.

"Something stronger perhaps?" The professor asked.

You shake your head as Holmes says. "No, but might I trouble you for an inscription?" And he hands a book, The Dynamics of an Asteroid & Lecture Notes, to the professor, who takes the book with a smile.

He sits down at his desk and opens the book and begins to write in it as Holmes walks around and you stand to the side of Moriarty's desk.

Holmes walks over to the blackboard that was behind Moriarty as Moriarty speaks. "I heard that the good doctor was to be married today. How was the service?"

"Definitive." replied Holmes.

"Devine." You replied.

"He'll no longer be party to our investigations, he's out of the equation. Trust you'll take this into consideration." said Holmes as he continues to look at the board then sees a book near the edge of the board.

"And what considerations will you grant me?" Moriarty asked.

Holmes doesn't reply but just comes back around to the Professor's desk as Moriarty finishes his inscription and closes the book. He turns around in his chair to face Holmes, hands him the book and asked. "Have you actually read the book?"  

"I found it compelling, wouldn't you say (y/n)?" Holmes said as he looks over at you. You smile as you walk up next to him and said. "It was interesting. But we're primarily interested in your more recent endeavors, Professor."

 "I take that as a compliment." said Moriarty. "I have the utmost regard for your talents, Mr Holmes. It's a pleasure to finally meet you. Officially." The men shake hands and Holmes gives a small nod to him and let's go of his hand.

The Professor then takes your hand, shakes it then kissed the back of it. Out the corner of your eyes, you could see Holmes's face comforts witb disgust at this as you put on a fake smile for the Professor.

"Are you familiar with the study of graphology?" Holmes asked as he paces around the room, looking at the book.

"I've never given it any serious thought, no." Moriarty replied. "Psychological Analysis of Hadnwriting. The upward strokes on the P, the J and the M indicate a genius level of intellect. While the flourishes on the lower zone to note a highly creative yet....meticulous nature. But if one observes the overall slant and pressure of the writing there's suggestion of acute narcissism, a complete lack of empathy and a pronounced inclination toward..."  

"No!" Moriarty shouted, firmly.

"Moral insanity." You finished Holmes's deduction.

Moriarty glares at the two of you, leans forward in his chair and said. "An answer to your previous request, regarding Dr Watson not being involved the answer is....No. The laws of celestial mechanics dictate that when two objects collide there is always damage of a collateral nature."

He gets up out of his chair and starts to speak Latin then he walks over to you two and said. "Two gentlemen find themselves at cross purposes. A young woman on the side of one of the men and another young woman torn between them. The strain proves too much for her and she suddenly falls ill. With tragic...consequences." Moriarty says as he walks over to the chess boards and throws down a handkerchief with a spot of blood on.

You freeze in place, your breath hitches in your throat as you recognized the handkerchief.

Holmes stares at the cloth in horror as well while Moriarty says. "A rare form of tuberculosis. She succumbed in a matter of seconds." Holmes starts to pace in front of the Professor as you place your hands over your mouth, tears forming in your eyes.

Moriarty moves a piece on his chess board and said. "Now....are you sure you two want to play this game?"

He looks up at you and Holmes, who turns to him and said. "I'm afraid, you'd lose."  

"Rest assure, if you attempt to bring destruction down upon me, I shall do the same to you." Moriarty warned as he moves his eyes over to you as you removed your hands away from your mouth and began to shake with anger, eyes still filled with tears but they were angry tears mixed with hurt and sadness.

"My respect for you, Mr Holmes, is the only reason your still alive." He finishes as he looks back at Holmes.

"You've laid me several compliments. Let me pay you one in return, when I said if I were assured of the former eventuality..." Holmes said as he walks closer to the Professor and tosses the book to the side and said. "I will cheerfully accept the latter."

The men glare at each other and Holmes picks up the handkerchief and hands it to you. You take the cloth and look down at it then closed your eyes. Holmes takes you by the arm and the two of you begin to walk out until Moriarty speaks again.

"I'll be sure to send my regards to the happy couple."

You and Holmes turn to face the Professor as he gives a small smile at you two. You were shaking with so much anger that you start to walk back towards him but Holmes puts an arm in front of you and leads you out of the room. "Another time then...." You hear Moriarty shout after you but the both of you don't reply back. 

For the rest of the ride back to Baker Street, you stayed silent. All you could do is stare at the cloth in shock. You couldn't believe it, you couldn't believe that your sister was gone. Sure you two always didn't get along but she was still your sister, you still loved her and now she was gone.

"(Y/N)?" Holmes whispered. You don't reply but just keep staring at the cloth and the spot of blood that was on it. "(Y/N)?" Holmes said again.

You bite your lip and shake your head at him. Finally, You make it back to Baker Street and you get out of the carriage and walk inside the flat. "(Y/N), wait!" Holmes shouted after you but you don't reply as you walk in the flat and up the stairs. "Darling wait!" He shouts again.

You finally stop at the landing and he catches up with you. You grab onto the railing of the stairs and said, in a tearful whisper. "I was going to reconcile with her." Holmes stares at you, with concern, as you continue. "I was going to reconcile with her. To hopefully have a good relationship with her.....and that man that.....monster...took that away from me."

Tears fall down on your face as Holmes places his hands on your shoulder and spins you around to face him. You look up at him as he places his hand on your face, caressing your cheek. His thumb wiping away the tears but you close your eyes and more tears fall on your face. Holmes pulls you close to him and you cry into his chest as he holds you close and kisses the top of your head.