2

30 May 1988

Dear Diary,

Daniel arrived home yesterday after spending 10 days on a lavish holiday in New York city. 

He told me all about how he visited the Empire State building and Central Park and how he could have food brought up to him whenever he wanted just by ringing someone.

I bet he thought his story would impress me but, truthfully, it's done the opposite. I don't understand how he could just waste all that money on a holiday without feeling guilty about starving children in Africa or Asia or wherever.

The whole time he was going on about the fancy taxi-cabs and fine dining restaurants I wanted to tell him to shove off, but I knew my mum was probably watching me through the window so I had to be polite.

After he told me of his trip he said he had brought me back a souvenir and he handed me a parcel wrapped in plain brown paper.

"I could have sent it but I wanted to give it to you in person and make sure you recieved it."

In other words, he wanted to make sure I didn't burn it in the fireplace before I even opened it, like I did with the gift he sent from Mauritius when I was twelve.

To his credit, this gift wasn't as bad as it could have been. I was expecting perfume or jewelery or some other girly thing, but it was actually a book.

He knew my weak spot.

"It's The Catcher in the Rye." He said while looking at me with an adorably hopeful expression. "It's an American classic about a boy in New York. I've never read it but the shopkeeper said it's a wonderful book about adventure so I thought you'd like it."

I opened it and saw that he didn't write a silly note, which pleased me.

Daniel was trying very hard to earn my affection in more than just a friendly way. He's nice and all, I just don't feel that way about him.

"Thank you, Daniel. It's very kind of you."

I promised to read the book and then ran back into the cabin before he could declare his love for me again.

My mother thought that the book was some sort of sign that we were meant to be together.

"Oh, don't you see, Ophelia? The boy pays attention to what you like! He's considerate, isn't he? Oh I can just picture it now, our daughter, a Lady! Can't you picture it, Thomas?"

And then dad who was on his lunch break grunted and said that if I knew what was good for me, I would marry Daniel and pop out a few kids.

I was horrified.

Daniel is wonderful as a friend, but ever since he told me he loved me (in front of both of our families!) I feel so awkward around him.

I will never marry him and I will never have his children.

I simply won't do it.

~Ophelia ♡