15

2 July 1988

Dear Diary,

I have decided to start calling my parents by their first names, Thomas and Mary. There is only one month left until my 18th birthday and the less sentimental I feel, the better.

The day after my date with Daniel, he left me a bouquet of flowers. I know he feels bad like he did something to make me cry but I dont know how to tell him it's not his fault, so I don't.

Mary has been surprisingly gentle towards me, I believe she thinks I'm insane. Thomas has been absent as per usual. Though I did hear him asking Mary, "Why is Ophelia so quiet? Shouldn't she be complaining about something or other?"

I went upstairs so I didn't have to hear Mary's answer. Truth be told, I'm tired. All the time. I have no energy.

But yesterday, I made myself get up and visit Edith. I walked which took a couple hours. My legs burned which I liked because I haven't been feeling much of anything lately.

She seemed surprised to see me and asked if we were still leaving for America together.

"Of course." I assured her. "We have to." 

We walked to the payphone across the street and called the airport, enquiring about tickets to New York city. The woman told us her cheapest option was 600 pounds but if we were paying in cash, we would have to buy our tickets in person. Edith and I agreed to come in  person the next day to purchase the tickets.

We had enough money and on August 1st, she would pick me up at dawn and we would fly to America. What we would do after that, we had no idea. But we would be getting out of this town. That was a start.

We left the phone booth and started across the street to grab a smoothie when Edith spotted something ahead of us.

"Isnt that your dad?" She asked. I looked to where she was pointing and sure enough, it was my father. He didnt seem to notice us as we watched him speak to a woman, the same woman he was seen with before. He kissed her lips quickly before turning and walking towards the hardware store.

"God, O, I'm sorry." Edith said, cringing.

I stood in shock, not because of what my dad had done, but because of who he had done it to. I hadn't recognized her the first time she was with my father but now, as she turned around to see us staring at her, there was no mistaking it. My father was one of the men Susan slept with.

I walked towards her with sickening calm. Susan's eyes were large, clearly caught off guard but she recovered quickly.

"Edith! Ophelia! Long time no see!" She said, happily.

"What are you doing with my dad?" I demanded, though it was pretty clear what she was doing.

She blinked a few times in confusion. "That-thats your dad?" She asked.

"Yeah. And after what you did to us, you have a lot of nerve!" This time, it was not I who spoke, but Edith. She was a good friend.

"Okay. Okay, calm down. I didn't know that." Susan hurriedly assured us, as a group of tourists turned their head to stare at us. "I think we should talk. Can you meet me tomorrow at the ice cream shop?"

"The ice cream shop is closed tomorrow, it's Sunday." Edith spat. "Everything is closed on Sunday." She added regretfully.

"Exactly, it'll be private and we can work out whatever needs to be worked out."

We agreed to meet Susan at the ice cream shop after Edith got done with church the next day.

I'm writing this to you now, diary, as I'm about to head out and meet her. I dont know what she plans on saying that can make anything better, but I'm just curious enough to go.

Wish me luck,

-O