5

5 June 1988

Dear Diary,

The majority of the day, today, was a nightmare. I am at a loss. How could he betray her like that?

Today was filled with one terrible event after another.

Perhaps as I write it down, I will stop shaking with rage.

Mother allowed me to go into town today as long as I brought her back some things from the grocery.

I was planning on walking, which in itself would take a few hours, but I wouldn't have been able to carry groceries back with me, my arms would have fallen off.

I suspect mother knew this and it was her attempt to make me ask Daniel for a ride.

I was contemplating doing this when I saw...her. It. The Mer-witch.

Ms. Merwin is a few years older than my own mother and always wears black. I suppose it is her uniform but it gives her the appearance of a witch.

Daniel and I came up with the clever name, Mer-witch, when we were younger.

Anyhow, she was heading towards her old car and though it killed me, I ran up to her.

Terrible event #1: Merwin.

My feet kicked up some gravel as I skidded to a halt in front of the drivers side. She looked at my faded jean jumper with pure disdain and told me it wasn't ladylike to run.

I ignored her comment and asked politely if she could drive me into town.

You could tell she didn't really want to but once I told her I was doing shopping for mum she agreed. They are good friends.

The ride was maybe half an hour but it felt like longer. Merwin didn't have a car radio and when it wasn't completely silent she was asking after my parents.

It was awkward and as she dropped me off at the store I told her I had a ride back and she didn't need to fetch me.

It was a lie, of course, but there was no way I was dealing with her again, even if I had to drag groceries for however many kilometers.

I walked across the street to the library, an old stone building I had only been in a few times. It's not that interesting, it doesn't even have computers yet.

Terrible event #2- I couldn't find the bloody maps.

I got lost, which is saying something because it's not a big place, and I had to ask the nosy librarian for help.

She looked confused, why would I need maps? Why would anyone want to leave this shite town?

Nobody can keep their business to themselves, here.

I told her it was for a school project and she told me the only maps they had were historical.

What kind of bloody library doesn't have up to date maps?

I left without another word, which I suppose was rude of me. I didn't care.

Terrible event #3- I saw my dad.

He was supposed to be at work, today.

Instead, he was snogging a brunette woman, who seemed closer in age to me than my mum, in the dairy aisle.

He didn't see me and I ran out as fast as I could.

What am I to do?

~Ophelia