4

3 June 1988

Dear Diary,

I've finished reading Catcher in the Rye and although I would never tell Daniel, it has become my new favorite book.

I don't know how to explain the way I felt when I read it or why I enjoy it so much but I do.

Everything about it, the location, the characters, the storyline, is just riveting.

My favorite part was when Holden took his sister, Phoebe, to Central park to ride on the carousel. The way it was described, it seemed like the happiest place on earth! 

I've been thinking a lot about my plans to leave and after reading this book, I choose New York City.

Oh, how lovely it would be to walk in Times Square, ride in a horse drawn carriage around Central Park, and to go on that carousel!

Daniel has no idea that his gift meant to make me swoon has actually cemented my plans to leave.

There is one flaw in my plan, however. When mum was out, I rang several airlines to see about ticket prices from London to New York, and they all cost much more than my entire life is worth.

I fear it may take longer than this summer to save enough money. I will have to leave somewhere else, first, and then go on to America later.

I can't wait here until I save up enough money, so New York will have to wait, unfortunately.

I might ask if I can't go into town sometime and use the library there to look at maps and such.

I know that the Ordon's have a library but I am rarely allowed inside the Manor and certainly have never been invited to browse through books. I doubt they would have what I need anyway.

I must go now, I will try to think of ways I can make money (because I do need money for a bus ticket out of Norwood, after all.) and I will write more soon.

~ Ophelia ♡