Part 2

I did the most stupid thing... I went on a sick leave. My parents were not informed and my friends couldn't get in touch with me, since I refused to pick up my phone or answer to their messages. I simply spent my time at home, watching movies and staring into the wall, if I had nothing better to do. I couldn't really tell if I was depressed, sad or heartbroken. No, actually I felt numb, which was even worse, since I could not express my feelings.

I sat in my kitchen, holding a cup of tea and looking trough the window, when my phone vibrated. I sighed, it was already six days since I had left the faculty without any explanation, and I had declined every single message, especially those, which came from my curious fellow students. What had probably hurt me the most, was the fact that Mr. Urie wasn't between those, who were worried.

I turned on my phone and saw a round image of Erin. Unwillingly I opened the conversation and frowned at the content of her message.

"Ruby, where are you? I am worried! Mr. Urie approached me today, asking if you were at school. I told him that you're on a sick leave... I really hope that it is nothing important. Besides, he also seemed worried."

I felt a wave of excitement taking over me... Mr. Urie was worried about me.

"I hope it is nothing important. Please, get in touch with me..." another message appeared on the screen and I opened a window for reply.

"Hey." I wrote, trying to sound as uninterested as I could, "You shouldn't be worried, I am doing fine. I hope I'll be back as soon as I can."

"Ruby!" Erin's reply was instant, "I am so glad that you're talking to me finally! What happened? Did he do something to you?"

Her message angered me a bit, but I tried to sound as rational as I could.

"Who? Mr. Urie? No, it wasn't his fault. I received some news about my family, and it made me upset." I lied to her.

"Oh... Is everything okay? Should I maybe visit you?"

"No, no, everything is fine now. You shouldn't be worried, I will be back at university as soon as I can."

"Oh... Okay. Take care then."

"You too, Erin. Thanks." I typed as quick reply and put the phone back on the table, regretting my lies, however, Erin did like to gossip, so maybe it was for the best.

____

I fell asleep while watching a movie with my phone on my chest. Probably that is why I woke up, when it buzzed for few times.

I sighed as I unlocked my phone and tried to understand, who was the person behind the buzzing. Big was my surprise, when I saw Mr. Urie's image appearing on my screen in a small circle.

It took me a moment to be fully awake, as I opened the messenger and saw a short line, which he had written to me.

"Ruby? Are you awake?"

I needed few seconds to realize that this wasn't a dream and that he had actually written to me. With shaking hands I typed simple reply to his short message.

"I am now. Everything okay?"

My heart was racing as I watched jumping dots, which meant that he was writing an answer.

"Did I wake you up?"

I felt guilt and fear. I had to chose the right words, to make sure that he would continue this conversation.

"I was barely sleeping, so... no worries, everything is okay."

"Okay." short reply followed and then I saw just jumping dots... it took nearly a minute before another line appeared on the screen. "How is your paper doing?"

A small glimpse of regret crossed my face. Of course, he was interested in my progress with a paper...

"Fine, I guess. You should not worry, Mr. Urie, I will finish it on time."

After I saw no sign of a reply I put the phone aside and fell back into my pillows, feeling stupid and plaid. Why was he even doing this? Why would he write me in this hour, if he wanted to find out if my progress with the final paper was still ongoing.

I turned off the computer and wrapped myself into my covers. I felt bitter as I tried to turn off my mind and fall asleep again, and I felt slightly irritated, when my phone buzzed again. To my own surprise, it was Mr. Urie again.

"Ruby, I am not worried about the paper. I am worried about you. How are you doing?"

My heart skipped a beat, when I read that line.

"I haven't seen you in faculty and I heard from your friend Erin that you are on a sick leave. Is it something important?"

I wanted to type something, but I didn't really know what to say.

"Ruby?" he insisted for an answer.

"No. I have cold, it is nothing important, You shouldn't be worried." I wrote, hoping that he will believe in me.

There were a moment of jumping dots on my screen, until I finally could read his answer.

"Okay, because I need your help."

I frowned at the screen.

"What?"

"I have a presentation, which is very important for my research work, and it is similar to the topic of your final paper. I spoke to other colleagues and they agreed that it will benefit your work, so I wanted to ask for your assistance, if that's okay."

I felt rather puzzled as I read those lines. He needed my help... why?

"But due to the lack of time, I hope that you will return back to the school as soon as possible."

"..." I was the one, who set the row of jumping dots this time and then deleted the text, since I didn't know how to respond.

"Ruby? You can sleep on this thought, if it's necessary."

What was I doing? He needed my help. And it probably was an innocent request. After all, my leave was mostly emotional, and he understood that. This kind of situation could improve our relationships and maybe it will help me to understand that this is rather obsession not a real love.

"Yes." I wrote short and instant reply, trying to sound rational.

"Does it mean that I can count on you?"

"Yes, Mr. Urie, I will help you with your presentation."

"Good. Get well then, and I hope to hear form you soon."

"Thank you, I will get in touch with you as soon as I will be able to return back to the faculty."

"Ok. Good night, Ruby."

I smiled at this message.

"Good night, Mr. Urie."

The green dot near with his photo disappeared as soon as I received the message from him, but my mind was racing with what could probably be described as false expectations.

I dreamed about Him that night.