Part 6

I was grateful that Mr. Urie took me home. My family didn't really discuss problems, but at least I could feel calm there.

When I woke up on the next morning, my mom greeted me with coffee and sandwiches, which sort of made me feel like a teenager again. I sat by the table, sipping my coffee and watching a music channel, while my mom was cleaning up the kitchen.

My mother was a beautiful woman, who had chosen a life of housewife, and she was good at what she was doing, after all, she raised two children- me and my elder brother-, and I think that she had done a great job. Dad... well, he was working and was never around, and, I remember, that, when I was just a child, they were often arguing on that. However, as the time passed, she found a way how to cope with his absence. Maybe she had fallen out of love, I don't know, but she was never complaining about anything.

I caught my mother's gaze as she turned around and looked at me with a slight concern. "How are you coping, my dear?" She asked me quietly.

I knew that this question did not request any real conversation, but I nodded, giving her a mild smile. "I'm fine, don't worry."

She beamed, "Good. You're a strong girl." She replied wit a certain sense of contentment in her voice, "We should really hurry up, if you don't wish to miss your lectures."

"Sure," I put down the sandwich and coffee. I stood up and she passed me to get her purse.

I don't know if it was a good idea to go back to university today, but I knew that it might take my mind off of what had happened. Quickly I put on my jacket and shoes. I also took my bag and Mr. Urie's jacket, which was hanging on one of the hooks in a hallway, and, together with my mom, I left the house.

The ride to the university was silent, except for the music, which was playing on the radio. I managed to put professor's jacket in my bag, before we reached the destination. For some reason the building seemed to be less inviting than usually, now, when I knew that I will never see Erin's greeting smile in its hallways.

"Call us, if you need anything, Ruby." Mom spoke, before I got out of the car.

"I will."

"And be careful, okay?"

"Okay, ma," I smiled awkwardly, her concern seemed to be staged, even if I knew that she probably meant what she was saying. I wanted to make sure that she felt appreciated, so I quickly leaned towards her and gave her a quick hug. She froze, I felt it, but I didn't really care. "Have a good day, okay?"

"You too, hun," She replied while patting my hand uncomfortably.

It was short, but pleasant moment. I don't think that I have had that with my mom in years, and for some reason it made me feel more confident, as I got out of the car.

-----

I had a lecture in  Research Methods course which nobody really liked, but which requested 80% attendance during the semester. I went into the class, just to greet a view, which, I knew I might experience. Everyone was looking at me... I heard whispers as I walked trough the auditory, Samantha and Ann, girls, who would often spend time with me and Erin, greeted me quietly and one of them asked if I felt okay. I nodded in response, and in a half whisper, told her that I was fine, even though I felt as if walking the walk of shame at that moment.