Chapter 4

"Kill them, before they kill us."

The voice has returned to guide me. It's never spoken to me when I wasn't using my power before. Reality begins to set in as I'm pulled back from my thoughts. My head is in a stir, and my body aches. I open my eyes and stare at an unfamiliar ceiling. Where am I? Do I even want to know? A single light lies above, and it's all I can fixate my eyes on. Lucy. The car. Is she okay? I snap up as fast as my body allows. Pain shoots through my right arm. A long forearm bandage with "EDEN" written on it is wrapped around my arm. I'm dressed in a hospital gown, with unseen shorts hidden beneath it. The thought of someone changing my clothes for me makes me uncomfortable.

The room is small and almost too bright. Water droplets mimic a metronome on the floor as they fall from an exposed pipe. There's nothing but a bed and a toilet in here. Is this a prison? A red door is at the far end of the room, and it looks too heavy for me to open. I need to find Lucy and something is telling me I need to get out of here. I muster all the energy I have left and concentrate on the door. I think of chains wrapping around the handle and pulling the door open, but nothing happens. What's going on? Why isn't my power working? I fall to my knees. I want to cry but I need to keep my composure, there's no telling what could happen. I hit my head before; maybe that's it. I take back what I said about my ability; it really is a blessing.

I sit back on the bed and try to piece the fragments of my memories back together. The spike strip is the first thing that comes to mind. This was planned. I look at my arms and notice they've treated all my scrapes and bruises. I'm here because someone wanted me here, alive. A wave of possibilities encases my mind. But I am sure of one thing, the people that murdered my family have finally found Lucy and me. I need to be cautious.

I hear footsteps approaching from the hallway. They echo as they draw nearer. A part of the door slides to the side revealing a small, rectangular window. Soft, round eyes stare through it at me. A series of locks start to be unlatched, one by one. I don't know what to expect, but all I can feel is fear. This may be the face of my parents' killer. The door opens, and a tall, older woman enters. Two armed men stand in the doorway, focused on me. The woman's beautiful brown hair flows behind her. It contrasts perfectly with the brightness of her white lab garments. This can't be the killer, can it?

"Who are you?" I question.

I'm not sure what this feeling is, but I feel like I can take on anyone. This is the moment I've been waiting for.

"I'm the one that pulled you and your friend out of a mangled car." She smiles and waves off the men.

"Where's Lucy? Where am I?"

"All will be answered soon," She replies, "but she is alive and safe, I promise."

Her words are soft, like her eyes. I feel like... I can trust her. She can't be the killer, but I know she isn't innocent, either. She leans against the far wall and sighs like there's guilt running through her veins.

"It must be terrible seeing me face to face, as opposed to stalking me in that black car," I say.
She turns to me and chuckles a little.

"You really are an interesting specimen, Alice Aldaine."

Hate and anger fill me. I've been right this entire time. Maybe it's a good thing my power isn't working. She would be dead in a matter of seconds. My eyes burn into hers as I clench my fists.

"Tell me one thing," I say, "Who, here, murdered my parents?"

The question that has dug itself deep into my being finally has a possibility of being answered. The woman puts her finger on her mouth and taps it on her lips. She's taking her sweet time thinking as if the answer isn't already engraved in her mind.

"Ah yes, the case of Harold and Kathy Aldaine. Such a tragedy. Murder-suicide, wasn't it? I can only-"

"Don't lie to me!" I interject.

I speak without thinking. I have no care for my well-being or any consequences right now. I need this answer. This is the only answer I need in this world. I'm so close, and she won't even give it to me.

I'll kill her.

I swear I'll kill her.

It feels like I'm using my power, but I'm not. Death fills my head again. My breathing increases and I feel like I'm going to hyperventilate. I struggle to stay conscious to reality. The woman bends down in front of me and puts her hands on my knees. It soothes me in a way, and I regain my composure.

"You're a very special girl, Alice. I can see that you know we've been watching you. We've been watching longer than you even know. That's all we want to do here, see you interact with other patients like you and learn from you. Do a little light testing, maybe even teach you how to control it. Don't you want to know more about your gift?"

I do want to. I want to know everything about this blessed curse. I want to control it. I want to still be me when I use it. Can they really help me? Should I believe a single word coming out of her mouth? My head hurts too much to think straight. I'll go along with it, for now. I can get answers from someone in here. I need to find how to turn my power back on, and then I'll make someone give me the answers if that's what it comes to.

I nod to the woman slowly. She smiles and takes my hands in hers.

"My name is Sydney. I'm the medical examiner here. I hope for our time together to be amazing. As long as you help us, you and Lucy will be free to go in no time," she says.

I don't even know where here is. I don't think she would tell me if I asked. She seems nice, but something is off about her. Think, Alice. Assess the situation. My priority is Lucy. Next, is finding out who killed my parents. After, comes where we are and when the hell they're letting us go. Something's telling me I should try my luck with the other patients that I'm supposed to "interact" with.

"I want to see Lucy. Take me to her now," I declare.

"Of course, of course," she says, giggling. "You remind me so much of myself at that age, so headstrong. We'll visit her on the way to the observation room where you'll meet the others."

She smiles that same smile again. I'm starting to get sick of it. She pulls me by the hand into the dull, concrete hallway. We pass door after door that resembles mine. I can't decide if this is a hospital or a prison, I can't even find a single window to the outside. She stops and pulls a curtain back to the side of a window. Lucy lies on the other side, sleeping in bed. There are machines hooked up to her; it looks like the accident got her worse than it got me.

"We can't disturb her. She's stable, but she's in a coma-like state right now," Sydney informs.

I hate seeing her like this, but I nod, and we continue down the hallway. I want to cry, but I need to stay strong, for her. I'm glad she's okay, and that I now know exactly where to find her. This is all my fault, but I swear I'll get us out of here. Why cause a wreck and then treat us? I don't get it. I'm starting to feel like the spike strip was someone else's doing. Maybe this place actually holds our saviors. My head still hurts too much to think all of this out.

We arrive at a set of double doors. "Observation Room" is labeled to the left side in bold, black print. I can feel my stomach churning. I'm not very good at mingling, or anything involving human interaction. These people are like me, she said. I think she means gifted. I didn't know there were any other people out there with abilities. I'm just as excited as I am nervous. If I can win them over, maybe they'll have some answers for me.
"Oh yes, one last thing I almost forgot," she says. "They each have a unique talent like you, but, they are not like you. Each one of them has a history of, well, criminal activity."

My stomach drops. Criminals? Why do they want me to interact with them?

"They will say and do whatever they deem necessary to try to manipulate you. Don't let them, and furthermore, whatever you do, don't trust them."