Chapter 17

The overcast sky matches the storm brewing inside of me. Every point and edge of the gravel beneath can be felt through the thin shoes the facility provided for us. The probably once lush forest on either side of the tracks is a dull gray blur of mostly dried or dead leaves. The train tracks look old and worn, with no sign of life in any direction. We rise to our feet slowly, all still stupefied from the shock. It seems to be about midday, at least I can assume from the slightly brighter patch of clouds, that the sun is hidden behind them. We all struggled to find ways to escape them, but never thought of what comes next. I have no friends or family anymore. Where could I possibly go now? Will I become a homeless drifter, moving from one town to the next, scavenging to find my next meal? I can't let my life fade away, reducing to nothing, but how can I possibly go up from here? Staying positive is going to be an arduous task from now on.

"Beautiful freedom!" Decoy exclaims, picking up gravel and showering himself with it. "Thanks for nothing." His clone of the guard dissolves and becomes one with the earth. I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing a human-like clone breaking apart and turning to a sandy substance.

"Perhaps we should devise a plan; I would assume Sydney's threats weren't merely bluffs and any idle time lets the enemy come closer to us," Gadget insists.

First, we were caged like animals, now we're being hunted like them. The irony, we're the strong ones, yet we're forced to cower and hide. They should be running from us. Snap points to the train station almost too far to even see, let alone notice.

"I know where we are; I was taken to that facility after doing some time in prison a couple of miles north of here," he says, "my wife and I have gone to that terminal a bunch of times. We should head to my house. We could get there by around tomorrow night if we start walking now." The group looks around at each other. They've been led by him for so long, but now they are free to do as they please. "I can't force you guys to do anything, but there's no way in hell we escaped, and there's no Gens out looking for us. You can get out of these gowns and have a great meal made by my wife... My wife..." he stares off into the distance. It must be hard to be away from the one you love for so many years.

"Free food? I'm in!" Decoy shouts.

Mute looks at Aroma with anticipation. She runs her fingers through Mute's hair and hugs her. "We will come, as well."

"Strength in numbers," Gadget claims.

Sol simply nods. She looks distraught, like she carries a heavy burden with her. Maybe it was all those people she killed in there. I killed, too, but I understand that because of it, we're still alive. She needs to realize that, too. All eyes are on me. I guess I'm the last to answer. Everyone wants to know if the new girl is on board or not. Do I have a choice? I don't think I could last out here very long by myself. Those nature shows I used to watch aren't really much help, now. I know moss grows on the north side of things, at least think that's true.

"I'll join, I suppose," I confirm.

Mute runs over and hugs me. She looks genuinely excited that I've decided to become part of the group. She holds her left hand up for a high-five. I lift my arm, even though it still somewhat hurts from the bruising on my ribs, but my adrenaline from today has made it all but numb. As I thrust my hand to meet hers, she moves right before they connect, making me almost lose my footing. She holds her gut and points and laughs, that same silent giggle. I can't help but laugh along with her. I see friends in these people now. I don't care about their pasts. As long as they have my back, I have theirs.

"We stay on the tracks. If we approach a station, we go around it in the Forest; we avoid any incoming trains the same way. We'll find a place to set a camp tonight and take turns keeping watch," Snap informs.

"I'll find somewhere else to camp at dusk," Sol says

"No, you're with us," Snap replies, "we can handle her."

"Handle who?" I whisper to Decoy.

"It'll be more fun if you just wait and see," he replies.

I don't know if I want to wait and see, but Sol looks too distressed to bother with questions like that. Snap gestures for us to follow him. We start down the tracks, opposite the far terminal. This hike will be tedious, but I can't shake the thought of a home-cooked meal and a warm house, maybe even a bed.

"I've been thinking, should we start calling each other by our real names? 'Cause honestly; I've always hated my real name and these nicknames are super cool. It's like we're some awesome superhero team, fighting crime and kicking ass," Decoy says.

"I believe continuing to use the nicknames we've grown accustomed to identifying each other with would assist with avoiding confusion. However, now, I'm curious to what your birth name is," Gadget replies.

"You could find my dead body, revive me through the power of God, and say your one wish is to know my name, and I still wouldn't tell you."

"Darling, it is really not that bad, I think it is lovely. So elegant and strong," Aroma adds, snickering.

"Aroma, don't you dare!" Decoy yells.

She covers her mouth and continues to snicker. She takes her index finger and thumb and slides them, together, across her lips like a zipper. Mute grins along with her, like she's already filled in on his little secret. Decoy crosses his arms and grunts, speeding up his pace to walk near Snap.

"Women, am I right?" Decoy says, throwing his arm around Snap's shoulders. "Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of beer!"

"If you try to sing that all the way until you get to one, I will literally freeze your mouth shut," Snap interjects.

"You guys are no fun!" Decoy howls.

Decoy walks ahead, pouting. The rest of us can't help but laugh and grin. This feels nice, a moment of calmness. Being able to enjoy the little things, even if just for a while. Aroma grabs me by the hand and slows me down so that we're walking behind the group.

"About earlier, I am truly sorry. I invaded your privacy, and that was not right. I just cannot bear to see you play into their game, becoming a hateful, mindless killing machine," she says.

"It's alright. I know why you did it; you helped me when you didn't have to."

"Oh, but I did have to," she says, "for me not to is exactly what they would want. Losing our compassion, stripped of our humanity, broken in every meaning of the sense. I cannot become that... even after they took my daughters from me..."

"I'm so sorry to hear that," I console.

She smiles, choking back tears and catches back up to Mute. I guess we've all lost people to them, to 'Gens,' as they call them. But, how does she stay so optimistic? I haven't seen any bloodlust in her, let alone even just the slightest urge to kill. I admire, no, I respect her resolve. I want to be like her, stripped of my demons, without this vengeance in my heart. I know I'll get to that point, all I need is a little time.