Chapter 21

The field of damp grass glimmers under the moonlight. We ate whatever scraps of food were left unscathed. It wasn't much, but enough to fill us for the night. I sit on the porch, admiring anything I can to stay out of my own mind. With heavy hearts, we all watch Snap and Junior digging the last of the three graves. Even Luna is silent right now. Maybe she does have some form of a heart locked up somewhere inside of her. I really can't handle funerals. Water always runs in my eyes, until seeing someone else crying sends me over the edge. They throw their shovels out of the hole and help each other climb out. They wave us to join them in lowering the bodies. As I stand, Mute grabs my hand in hers and lays her head on my shoulder. Is it that obvious that I'm on the brink of a meltdown? She walks me down to the gravesite, and we all stand next to the wrapped bodies.

"Decoy... Maurice was a good man. He was the first real friend I made in prison. And he had my back from there on, for years. He will be missed," Snap says, forcing out the words through a lump in his throat.

I try to choke back the tears, but they overpower me. I've seen more death these past few days than I've seen in my entire life. It's all so daunting and discouraging. How am I supposed to stay strong and endure all of this? Snap and Junior lower his body into the grave.

"You can speak about your parents," Snap says to Junior.

"I don't know what to say anymore. I mean, my mom's dying words was basically telling me I'm the devil."

"Aww, love, you cannot look at it like that," Aroma adds.

"I don't know how else to see it. They spent my whole life telling me I need to be fixed. They told me God is punishing me for something I did in my past life by cursing me with the Devil's power. I love them both, I really do, but I was already considering running away," he replies, clenching his fist, "but they didn't deserve to die. Who were those people?"

"Gens, people from a Genetics lab who see us as rats instead of people," I answer.

He wears a concerned look, like he's contemplating getting himself wrapped up in this. Little does he know, he no longer has a choice. Sydney said this was going to change us all. Aroma has already begun to see it take form. We can't lose ourselves in this. It's exactly what they want. They can use us to kill aimlessly, then tell the public that we're the ones to blame. I won't be reduced to that. They lower the other two bodies and begin filling the graves with dirt.

"Try to get some rest, we'll leave come morning," Snap insists.

"Wait," Junior says, "I want to come with you. I want to learn more about myself, more about people like us."

"Are you sure about that, Junior? This is serious business, not a game," Snap asks.

He nods. "I'm sure, and call me Echo. To honor your friend."

Snap lets out a chuckle. "You can call me Snap. That's Gadget, Mute, Aroma, Luna," he stares at me for a second, pondering something, "and Alice."

Echo nods and continues to assist with filling the holes. I begin to head back to the house, my head filled with emotions. I can tell the whole group is mentally and physically exhausted, but I tell myself that tomorrow is a new day. Someone grabs my arms and pulls me aside abruptly. It's Luna, giving me a stone-cold gaze.

"Ya could've wiped those soldiers out in a matter of seconds. Here, and at the facility. Why didn't ya?" She asks.

"I-I don't know what you mean..."

"Don't bullshit me, kid. See, I have a good nose at night. I can even sniff out how strong someone is. And you, I've never felt anything like ya. What're ya tryin' to pull here?"

Is she kidding me? There's no way I amount to what everyone thinks of me. My ability is no better than Mute's, Snap's, or any of them. She took out at least a dozen soldiers on her own tonight. And she's telling me she's never felt power like mine? It makes no sense. I've never gone all out with my power, and I never will. I'll be lost to the curse manifesting inside of me. Eden will take over.

"I'm not me when I'm using my power unless I just use a bit of it. I start to lose myself. I start to lose my mind."

"Ya know why I'm stronger than Sol? I don't hold back. There ain't no reason to. Lose ya mind, and ya might find somethin' better," Luna says.

She walks away towards the house and leaves me with my thoughts. Is power worth losing control? Is control worth never living up to my potential? I do wonder what I'm truly capable of, but what if I never come back from it? Things are only going to get harder from this point on; I know that. I may not have a choice one day. I walk in the door frame of the newly missing door and find a couch in the living room to stretch my legs out on. Mute takes the red sofa to my right and yawns, stretching her entire body. She lifts the skeleton and tosses it down the stairs to the basement. I'm glad, too, it was starting to make me feel sick. Aroma enters and takes the vacant recliner in the corner of the room.

"I will keep first watch. Sleep well, my loves," Aroma says.

I'm tired, but something has been weighing heavy on my mind, and I have to ask. These two have been nothing but generous and nice to me.

"Aroma, Mute, how did such kind people like you two get involved in this mess?" I question.

They look at each other for a second and Mute nods to her with a look of approval.

"I suppose I will start with myself. Before arriving at the facility, I was a hired assassin. I killed men, women... and children if the price was right." She starts to get choked up on her words. "I was a vile human, engulfed in murder and drugs until the Gens started watching me. They found out my name and the whereabouts of my home. I received a picture of... of my daughters, tied up and gagged." Mute sits next her to comfort her. "They told me I now work for them, and to meet them at an abandoned warehouse downtown. They said they were just letting me know it was within their power to hurt them, but would not if I complied. So, I did. And... and... when I arrived, their... bodies were there. It was a trap. They... had already killed them both... my little girls..." she wipes the tears from her eyes and tries to steady her breathing. "Excuse me. They knocked me out, and I woke up in a cell."

"I'm so sorry..." I console.

"I told myself it was karma, for the lives I have taken, so, I will not take anymore."

This woman in front of me was an assassin? I can definitely see it skill wise, but her disposition is always so calm and collected. The Gens really will stop at nothing to get us. I'm angry for her, but I'm even more afraid of them now.

"As for Mute, her and her sister were the most ultimate performers, so she has drawn for me. But most people did not see them the same way. They were laughed at and ridiculed almost every show. Imagine, your one true passion in this world being mocked time and time again. They booked their biggest show, with a nationally known magician, only to find out it was a gimmick. Her sister overheard him say he booked 'horrible performers' just to make himself look even better and gave some people in the crowd tomatoes and other vegetables to toss at them. As anyone would, they lost their tempers. Although, not everyone has the powers of Mute and her twin. Not a single audience member left that performance alive, and ironically, the headlining magician's head was left in his dressing room. But she understands the error in her ways, too, we both do. Never again."

Mute nods in agreement. Talk about having baggage. I guess Sydney wasn't lying about them all being criminals. I don't care, though, they've been here for me since I've met them, and I plan on doing the same.

"You two get some rest, now, we have a big day tomorrow," Aroma says.

Mute and I lie down on our respective couches. I close my eyes and listen to the sounds of the chirping crickets and the subtle whistle of the wind until I fall asleep.