Chapter 19

The flared tempers trump the cool night. Luna has crept back out of the man's sight. We raise our hands on the first level, but I guarantee she's ready to do something reckless. I think the rest of us know that if we use our powers, he may still be able to get a shot off. It's not worth risking one of our lives. Luna and I share a moment of eye contact, and I use it to shake my head, slowly, at her. She winks back and blows a kiss to me, smiling. I don't know what she's thinking, but it might get someone killed. I creep a chain up the wall behind her, just in case.

"Sir, please, we don't want to hurt you. Just let us leave," Snap pleads.

The man squints at us, shuffling a toothpick around in his mouth.

"Hurt me," he laughs, "you must be mistaken. See, I'm the one with the gun. And would you look at that, you brought me dinner. I really appreciate it."

"You're gonna let us go, or you're gonna die," Luna says jumping down from the top. Her arms are engulfed in flames. The man stumbles back with terror.

"No one is going to die, Luna!" Snap yells.

Luna walks toward the man, who is now crawling backward for his life.

"Wait! Wait!" He exclaims.

"Mmm, I love when they beg," Luna says, cynically.

"My son, he's like you! Different! Please, can you help us?! You're in hospital gowns, were doctors going to fix you?"

"Fix? Do we look broken to ya?" Luna replies.

"He's just... so afraid of being different."

Luna extinguishes her flames. I didn't think there was any reasoning with her up until this point. I guess everyone has a soft spot. Snap runs past Luna and extends his arm to the man. He helps him to his feet while Luna picks up the shotgun and burns it to ashes in her hand.

"Please, just follow me. We don't know what to do, please," the man begs.

Decoy carries large chunks of deer meat in his arms, struggling, while we all turn to him.

"What? I'm hungry. I'll cook this myself if I have to."

Snap turns back to the man, nods, and we follow him up to his house. It's a big house, an old style, cozy abode. The porch is filled with chairs and bug zappers, spazzing with the buzz of fried insects. The entrance to the home is below a sign the reads "In God we Trust." The interior smells of fresh peppermint and lavender, it reminds me of a warm summer day.

"Junior! Come meet our guests," the man says.

A teenage boy comes running down the stairs, skipping a few steps as he jumps to our floor. He looks maybe fifteen or sixteen. That age where you're old enough to know better in most situations but young enough to still choose to be naive. He has innocent eyes and short, dirty blonde hair.

"Show them what you can do," the man says.

"But you told me to keep it a secret," Junior replies.

"It's okay, son. They're like you, special."

Mute lifts her hand and floats a nearby vase toward us. She begins spinning her finger and it twirls in mid-air. Junior inhales deeply, and lets out a short screech, shattering the vase. We all stare at him in awe.

"It sounds loud, but it won't hurt your ears. I learned how to focus it," informs Junior.

Decoy holds his chin, deep in thought. His eyes search, without looking for anything, as he tries to find the words to use to express his mind.