Chapter 9

"Feel free to explore to your heart's content. Avoid Vince, because I won't be here tonight to help you, anymore. Also, you'll notice a bolster in security, but pay it no mind," Sydney instructs.

Once dinner is over, we're free to walk to corridors as we please. How audacious of them to call it 'free time,' as if any of us are really free. I'm just as trapped in this place as I am in my thoughts. Though, I could use this time to find the best escape routes. I can learn the twists and turns of the facility, or where the guards are usually stationed, in case I have to fight my way out. I know I'm ready to fight, but I hope I won't have to. I'm still recovering from the various aches and pains ailing me, and I know Lucy will be weak when she wakes up. One thing I have, though, is the help of my new friends. Maybe, even the assistance of Sydney.

My feet drag down the dimly lit hallways. It's been a long day, almost too long. A cool breeze wisps through my uncombed hair. The feeling calls on me to follow it. In mid-stride, a fluorescent beam off of gold strands catches my eye. Mute, huddled on the bed I assume is hers, stares deeply into something she's holding in her hand with a look of distress. I've never been very good at consoling people, I usually just try to avoid situations like these. I'm not sure if it's the hope of kindling a stronger bond with her, or just a sheer sense of curiously that propels me into her room.

Her eyes never look away as I come closer to her. I can tell she knows I'm in here, but she is choosing not to acknowledge me. Her face paint is even more smeared than before. I guess I know why, now. The tears seem to get stuck in a pool of black and white before they have a chance to take a leap off of her face. An old photo seems to be the center of her anguish. Two teenage girls are captured on it, both in costume. I'm assuming the blonde with a similar face painting is a younger Mute. The other, identical to Mute, has to be her twin sister. I almost can't tell the two girls apart, except that her sister wears a full magician wardrobe, equipped with a top hat and a wand. A knock echoes at the entrance. Aroma stands at the door in all of her loving grace. I'm starting to think this look of concern is just the way her face rests. I'm surprised she doesn't have a full head of gray hair due to all her worrying. I'm just glad she made it here before I had to say anything.

"Darling, you know I told you to come find me when you are feeling down. You know I do not like you being alone like this," Aroma announces.

She sits beside me on Mute's bed. Mute seems to be in her own world, unmoved by the distractions outside of her picture. I know how she feels, though. When I lost my parents, my whole world went dark. It took Lucy months of trying for me to return to somewhat being a normal, functioning human being.

"That is her sister, Cynthia," Aroma whispers, "they were the best mime and magician duo there ever was. The people here, they abducted her after one of her performances. This place destroys lives. But, before that can happen to you, we need to destroy them."

I can see her point. The only problem is, Lucy is becoming more responsive. The moment she wakes up, we're out of here, or at least her. I'm ready to fight if I have to, but Sydney told me she would let us out in time. There's really no reason for them to keep Lucy, right? To me, her safety is the most important thing. If I exchange her safe release for my full compliance, I'm sure Sydney will be thrilled. She's the only reasonable one here that I've met, so far. I don't want to do anything to mess that up because I know my actions will reflect on Lucy.

"I... Don't know," I say.

She walks toward the door and surveys the area before closing it. It only hangs open by a narrow margin. It looks like the only way it can fully close is with the lock shut from the outside.

"You know where she got that picture?" She asks. "From Vince. All of us have pictures of our loved ones. They are letting us know that they know who they are and have been in our homes. We are supposed to obey them because they have leverage on us, love. That is why judgment day is so important. We will escape, even take their lives if it stops them from taking any of ours. Do you not have those you hold dearly?"

Lucy is the first thing that comes to mind. The second is, what could they possibly need leverage on us for? What role do people like us play in a place like this? It doesn't matter, Lucy and I will be gone long before the 'judgment day' they keep referring to. She holds me close and runs her hands through Mute's hair. For one of the first times in life, I'm thinking in a rational sense. No paranoia or overthinking. I know the reality of this situation, and I know that no matter what happens, I need to make sure Lucy is safe. I nod to Aroma; I don't want to push her too far away. Everyone here could be an asset.

The door closes behind me as I step back into the hall. Aroma seems to have adopted all the prisoners here. She'll help ease the pain Mute is feeling. I stumble down the hall and eventually, find my dreary room. The water droplets from the pipe have accumulated into a small puddle now. I close my door as if I've accepted this to be my new home. As I lay down, I wish I could hear the voice. My thoughts are a storm of over-analyses I'm trying to disregard. The subtle drips of water have become a pattern my mind clings to. I've always needed a distraction to put my mind at ease, or my friend, insomnia, would once again rear its ugly head. I feel myself drifting into the vast blackness of unconsciousness. I hope I dream something pleasant tonight. I need an escape from the harsh reality of my current predicament. I focus on the water droplets until I finally doze off.

I snap awake at the sound of my door being flung open. I feel drowsy, like I've barely even slept at all. Three guards swarm into the room and jerk me to my feet. I'm still regaining my composure as they shove me into the hall. Two have me by my arms and one walks directly behind me, baton in hand. I can't imagine what could be going on, but something tells me it can't be good. I lazily strut to keep in stride with the guards as we turn hall after hall. I faintly recognize the way we're going; it's close to the cafeteria and the room Lucy is in. We turn the corner, and in front of her room, I see the rest of the patients, all accompanied by guards of their own, in front of her window. What... Is this? I almost force the guards to jog closer to the window.

My heart doubles in speed as I look through the glass. I can feel my stomach drop and it my entire body begins to grow weak. Vince and a doctor hover over Lucy's body, like vultures circling fresh prey. He's wearing that disgusting grin as he licks his lips in my direction. Everyone out here stares at me like they're waiting for answers. I can tell no one has informed them of who Lucy is. I don't know if they'd even help me right now if they did know. He slowly walks to the window and snaps his fingers. The guards hold my face inches from the glass. Vince is all but invisible to me, my eyes preoccupied with nothing but Lucy. I can't let anything happen to her; I won't. I don't even know what's going on and that scares me even more. I feel the panic in my heart rising, but I try my hardest to suppress it.

"W-what is this? What's going on?" I ask, as sincerely as I possibly can.

Vince's answer cuts through me more than any knife ever could.

"Don't you remember, Alice? I told you, you'd pay."