Chapter 13

Vince pats his hip, frantically searching for something that isn't there. He's probably looking for his pistol he pointed at me yesterday. I guess we're lucky he felt he didn't need it for a trip to the broom closet. Oh well, his mistake. Snap stomps the ground next to me and a trail of ice advances across the floor toward Vince, encasing both of his feet in solid blocks of ice.

"He-," he tries to yell, but is halted as I conjure chains to cover his mouth, tightly. Mute thrusts her palms forward and the door slams shut on its own. She fashions her hand at Vince like she's gripping something in her palm. His arms hold snug against his sides as if he's tied and bound. He squirms and fidgets, trying to break free from our inhuman grips. This is how our powers work together. We are so much stronger than all of them. We could take this place over if we wanted.

"Well, this is unexpected," Decoy says.

"It's a blessing," Snap adds, "we may no longer have to use force to get out of here."

"No longer have to use force? Are we supposed to just peacefully leave and pretend like none of this ever happened?" I shout.

"We have a bargaining chip, now. Maybe we could overrun them, but that's gambling with our lives. This way, no one has to get hurt," Snap rebuttals.

"I don't know, man, say we hand him over, then what stops them from firing on us?" Decoy includes.

"Nothing, love," Aroma says, "but nothing stops them from doing it if we do not, either."

Some plan they have. I know I need them and I can't take this whole place on, alone. I don't want to admit it, but I'd be dead within a few minutes, probably. I will kill him, but after we trade. After everyone is safe outside, I can kill him from a distance. Everyone wins.

"Who would even care that we have him?" Sol asks.

"His significant other," Gadget replies.

Sydney would want to get him back. She's an idiot for it, but she seems like she'd be willing to do anything for his safety. Snap unfreezes Vince's legs, and Mute raises her hand, lifting him into the air. She sways her hand across the room, and his body follows it to the back. He's pressed against the wall, trying to make out a sentence through the chains I placed on him.

"If you scream, make it a good one because it'll be your last," I threaten. Vince nods in agreement.

"Look, I've just been doing my job! You can't blame me for this. I gotta eat too, ya know? Just get Sydney. She'll listen. She'll-,"

I cover his mouth, tighter this time. I'm tired of hearing his voice. Sydney will help, but I'm not sure if she'll help him or us. I guess they're one in the same. I think I can convince her to do one helpful thing in her miserable life. If she wants to save him and continue being abused, that's none of my business.

"Yeah, Sydney. If we take her, they'll have to let us go in exchange for them," Snap claims.

Take her? There's no need for that. She's weak. I think I can convince her to let us go. I'll let her know her lover boy is going to die if she doesn't get us out of here. Then, when everyone has dropped their guards, I'll kill him, anyway. I'm content as long as he gets a slow, painful death.

"There's no need to kidnap her," I say. "I think I can talk her into smoothly resolving this exchange."

Snap and Sol look distrusting to my words. I know why, though, I was just parading with murderous intent earlier today. They don't want to die because of my actions.

"I won't kill her, or anyone else. Sydney will talk to me; I know she will."

Snap nods. "I'll trust you with this. Don't make me regret it, or you will, too."

I raise a brow at his threat and smile. I respect him. It appears as though his will is unbreakable. I haven't seen him fearful of anything, yet. I exit the storage closet, slowly peeking around the immediate area. I step into the hall once I know the coast is clear and head toward the cafeteria. I barely remember the exact path Decoy's clone pulled me down, but I'm sure I'll find my way. I hear footsteps from around the corner. Sydney turns from a nearby hall, squabbling weirdly. She almost resembles the clone from before, but I'm almost certain this is the real one. A holstered pistol lays in her hand.

"Eden!" She shouts. "so sorry to bother you, but have you seen Vince? His gun was on my desk, but I haven't seen him go this long without it before."

Well, yes, I have seen him. He's being held hostage, currently. Of course, I can't just flat out tell her like that. I can tell she's uneasy and maybe a tad bit unstable right now. I have to make this situation very clear to her.

"Why are you here at this facility, Sydney?"

She's taken back by my question. Confusion wears on her face. Either confusion of why I would ask, or the struggle to find a suitable answer. I already know the answer; she's here because she's trapped like the rest of us.

"B-because I work here, of course."

I laugh at her. I laugh right in her face due to her frailty. Weakness, I loathe it. Maybe I'll free her from this world, too. I would only be doing her a favor. She's not cut out for the obstacles and hardships life brings.

"Follow me," I demand.

She continues behind me like a lost puppy back to the storage closet. I open it, and she steps inside, after me. Her jaw drops in amazement, seeing all of us in here, and her beloved Vince pressed against the wall, mid-air. She unholsters the gun and points it at us, hands wobbling with fear. Snap and Mute spring forward and I raise my hand to them, signaling them to halt. I turn to them and nod; I can take care of this.

"Your... power... why... how..." Sydney murmurs.

She aims the gun at me and looks me in my eyes. I know I could stop her, but there will be no need. She's too weak to pull the trigger. Snap's arm turns into a glistening sword of blue ice. He raises it to Vince's neck.

"No one needs to die here, Sydney," he assures.

"Tell her, Vince," I say, removing my unearthly, black links from his mouth.

"Sydney! Listen to them, please! I don't want to die!"

She cocks the gun and tries to slow her breathing with tear filled eyes. She won't do it; she doesn't have the strength. Weak, that's all she'll ever be.

"We can help you. You're trapped like the rest of us. Let's leave this place, huh, you and I?" I insist. "And even if you want to stay, you are going to help us leave, or your boyfriend dies."

"Please!" Vince yells. "I'll do anything! Don't kill me! Alice, I didn't wanna kill that girl! I was forced! Let me go! I'll tell how your parents died; I'll tell you everything!"

My focus breaks when I hear those words. My thirst for revenge has clouded my mind about figuring out the truth. I turn to him as I hear a shot fire off. The sound attacks my ears and leaves me in a state of shock. I see blood flow to the ground through foggy eyes. She did it. She pulled the trigger.