Chapter 10

The Archbishop had refused to show them anything until the next morning. Shay was not amused. She wanted to leave immediately but Thomas understood why he had said it. She was shaking like a leaf because she had been soaked in the rain. Brother Vernon had escorted them back to her room, after a filling, if simple and tasteless dinner. Shay said goodnight and closed the door.

"Come, you may share a room with me and Brothers Jules and Kris," Brother Vernon said.

Thomas sat on the floor and leaned against the door. "No thank you."

"You shouldn't sleep there. She is safe in the monastery."

"I'm not worried about you or the other monks," Thomas said. "There are others who are also looking for the Book. They are most likely in the area. I cannot sleep anywhere else." He gave him a small smile. "Don't worry. I won't defile your sacred place. I just need to make sure that Shay is safe."

"I wasn't worried about that." He looked at the door. "Do you think she would feel better knowing that you are here instead of in a more comfortable bunk?"

"Yes. I'm sure she feels better knowing that I am nearby." Thomas wondered if he wanted that to be more true than it really was.

Brother Vernon nodded. "If that is what you wish then I will leave you. Good night."

********

Thomas fell backwards. He felt a hand on his back keeping him from hitting to the floor.

"Thomas, are you okay?" Shay asked. She turned his face towards her. "You were groaning in your sleep and you feel a little hot. Did you have a nightmare? Is your arm hurting? I have painkillers in my bag."

He stood up quickly and held his arm to his chest. "No. No painkillers." His right arm throbbed, all the way down to his fingertips that weren't there. He flexed his metal fingers then clenched them in a fist.

"Why? You're in pain. It will help," Shay said, her eyes were wide and filled with worry.

He turned his head away, a little embarrassed. "I got addicted to them after my arm was removed. I'd rather not have a repeat of that."

"Oh," she said. She raised her hand. "I can ice your shoulder for you."

"No. I think I'll just take a walk and hope it wears off soon," he said.

"Okay," Shay said. She stepped back into her room. Thomas held the door open.

"You're not at the castle anymore. You don't have to follow Samuel's rules," Thomas said. He forced on a smile despite the pain in his arm. "Come with me. The sun will be raising soon."

She laughed shyly. "Force of habit," she said. She walked beside him as they headed outside. "How long ago did you lose your arm?"

"Two years," Thomas said.

"But shouldn't the phantom pains have stopped..."

"They should have been gone after six months but I guess not everyone's the same." He rubbed his shoulder where the arm connected. "Did I wake you?"

"No. I couldn't sleep," she said. She stepped out onto the porch. The sun was just coming up over the horizon. All the clouds from the storm had disappeared. She turned to him and smiled. "I haven't seen a sunrise in years."

Thomas couldn't help but smile with her. He'd hated sunrises when he was younger. Sunrise meant training and training meant pain. Shay was just standing there soaking up the rays, her eyes transfixed on the sun enjoying the warmth. She was humming, something he wished she would do more often. It was soothing to his ears. She reached down to pick a wild flower growing in the cracks of the stairs. It immediately froze and shattered. The heartbroken look on her face was quickly wiped from her face.

The Book of Timeजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें