Chapter 18

"This is his office," Thomas said. He put his hand on the knob to open it. Shay grabbed his hand. "I still think making a deal with him is a bad idea."

"Who else can we ask for help?" Shay asked. Thomas didn't have an answer to that. He could call Gavin but he doubted he would be much help. "I think I should talk to him alone," she said.

"No. I don't care what you say, I'm not leaving you alone in a room with him." He leaned down to her ear. "Do you have any idea what happens to people in that room?" he hissed.

"I do. I saw a few things, not all I'm sure but a few."

"Then you should know that not even his own son is safe from him in that room. I've seen the face of death too many times in that room and I was lucky."

She held his face in her hands. "That's why I'm telling you to stay out of it. You're shaking."

"We could just leave. Technology has improved enough that you could talk to him from the other side of the planet."

"True, but Luca came to spend time with you and I don't think you should leave again so soon."

"Luca is here?"

"Junaid," Luca said walking towards them. Shay's hands fell away from his face. "You sent me away before I could even say anything."

"I had too. We didn't have much time left," Thomas said.

"Are you here to talk to Zahir?"

"No. I am here to talk to him. Thomas is going to take you out for ice-cream," Shay said.

Luca laughed. "Ice-cream?"

"Yes. Thomas says he doesn't drink and if my movies are anything to go off, ice-cream is the next best thing to alcohol." She patted his back. "Have fun." She went inside. Thomas followed after her. "I told you to stay outside."

"But I have no money." Thomas turned to Zahir. "I need money. Shay's clothes were destroyed in the last house."

Zahir nodded. He took out some bills and a card from his pocket. "Take Kagiso with you."

"Shay is with you. I plan to return, soon. I don't need a babysitter."

"No, but you might need extra money. Have fun. Shay will not be harmed."

Thomas laughed. "You don't honestly expect me to believe that? How many times have you given and broken that promise, in this very room?"

Zahir leaned forward. His eyes bore into Thomas' skull. "I swear on your mother's grave, no harm will come to her."

"If this promise is broken, you may finally turn me into the monster you've always wanted me to be."

"Thomas, you can stop threatening him now," Shay said. She took the seat opposite Zahir's desk. "I'll call you when I'm done if that makes you feel any better."

"It doesn't," Thomas said.

"Leave, Thomas."

"I just need to do something first." He reached underneath the chair she was sitting on and ripped out the wires.

"That was unnecessary, Junaid," Zahir said.

"My name is Thomas and it wasn't. I'm not done yet." He knelt down next to the desk and punched a hole in the side with his metal arm. He crushed the gun that had been concealed in his hand.

"Are you satisfied now?" Zahir asked. His voice was calm but he had a death grip on the arm rest of his chair.

"No. There's one more thing I need to get rid of," Thomas said. He reached underneath Zahir's chair and ripped out a small box that had some buttons. He wasn't sure what that did and he didn't want to know. "You thought I didn't know about this." Thomas threw it out the window. "Don't forget what my specialty is. I know everything. I won't let you use any of these things on Shay."