Safe...

Narrator's POV

Queen Hadrian and Princess Lilith were startled when Charlie opened the door in the dead of night with a burlap sack filled with two days supply of food for three people.

He carefully lead Hadrian, who was carrying a sleeping Lily, out of his room and down the twists and turns of the hallways.

They quickly snuck out of the castle and into the stables where they stole a black horse and left the castle grounds and into a forest.

Once the castle was out of sight, Hadrian whispered "Why are you helping us?"

"Because I don't agree with what King Albus is doing, taking you and your daughter from your home was wrong. He needs to be taken off the throne and someone new needs to lead this Kingdom to a better future." The red-headed man replied

"Who are you?" Hadrian asked

"My name is Charlie." Charlie replied

"Where are we going?"

"To the border where the your husband is waiting to take you two home."

***

The trio rode for several hours before reaching the mountain border between the Kingdom of Spades and the Kingdom of Hearts.

They ditched the horse and let it return to the wild and they climbed the steps to where Heart Guards were waiting.

"Where is the King?" Charlie asked Bellatrix

"I'll take you both to him." Bella replied "He be relieved to see you, your majesty."

Bella led Hadrian and Charlie to a room where Tom was pacing and the Queen noticed a large thunderstorm raging on the Hearts side of the border.

"Tom." Hadrian said

At the sound of his Queen's voice, Tom turned to face them, "Sweetheart."

Hadrian handed Lily to Bella and rushed into Tom's arms.

Tom took Lily from Bellatrix's arms, his right arm wrapped around Hadrian's waist, and kissed the top of her head, "My little flower."

"And now you both must leave." Tom muttered

"What?" Hadrian asked "We just got here?"

"You, Lily, and about Fifty of the guards here need to return to the castle." Tom replied

"I'm not going anywhere." Hadrian said

"You need to go home and rule the Kingdom while I get rid of our problems here, sweetheart." Tom soothed

"Won't taking fifty guards leave you short-handed?" The Queen asked

"No, there's still two hundred more. Now, go home, love." The King urged his stubborn Queen

"Fine, we'll go." Hadrian muttered

"Bellatrix, when you return to the castle inform the guard that I want twenty guards with my Princess at all times and you will stay with her as well. And I want twenty guards and Bartemius with my Queen at all times until my return.

And with one final kiss, Hadrian, Lily, Bellatrix and the guards left to return to the Castle of Hearts.

Once they were gone, Charlie asked the King, "What about me, your majesty?"

"You'll be coming with me." Tom answered "I need someone with knowledge of Spades Castle."

***

Charlie led King Thomas and his army to the Castle of Spades, leading them through the catacombs and secret passages, killing any noble they came across.

King Thomas and Charlie found King Albus in his study, listening to a prophecy very similar to the one in the Hearts Kingdom.

Tom stepped out from the grandfather clock that hid the passageway and was behind Albus.

Tom's sword rose in the air silently as he leveled it to Albus' neck.

But before he could strike, Albus pulled out a sword and they dueled.

"Why do you want my Queen?" Tom asked Albus, their swords clinging together

"He is the true Queen of Wonderland, he must be mine." Albus answered, striking Tom's sword

"He is mine!" Tom replied, striking a blow on Albus' sword hand, cutting it off

To this pain, Albus fell to the floor and Tom stepped one foot on Albus' chest, "Any last words?"

"You will fail." Albus muttered, his handless stump bleeding out

To that, Tom struck his sword into Albus' neck, decapitating him.

"What will happen to the Kingdom of Spades now, your majesty?" Charlie asked

"I simply can't split the territory out between the three kingdoms, Wonderland needs all four, so I need to find a replacement." Tom answered

The King of Hearts gasped in sudden realization and said, "Charlie, I choose you to be the King of Spades. You were born here and proved yourself trustworthy to the other rulers by helping me."

Tom picked the Spades Crown off of Albus' head and placed it on Charlie's.

The weather outside boomed from a light rain to a sunny day, signaling that Charlie was now King in Wonderland's mind.

***

Back in the Kingdom of Hearts, the Queen anxiously waiting for his King's return, watching over their Kingdom in the process.

When the King returned with news that the King of Spades had been replaced, the Kingdom celebrated.

And all was right with Wonderland...