I. OCEAN OF STARS

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑ocean of stars !┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━
ocean of stars !
┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

A streak of golden was seen across the ocean of stars, the bright point of light moving rapidly above him- it begins suddenly and then fades out a little longer, lingering there.

Loki's mouth slightly parted in awe, eyes following its trail.

It wasn't the first time that he had seen a shooting star, yet this one was different.

Perhaps it was because Loki was merely a child - and it didn't take much to impress him, yet, he knew that there was something different about this star.

It gleamed and glowed brighter than any of the ones he had seen through his mother's telescope, and it was bigger and grander than the ones he had seen raining down through the palace windows during placid nights.

Time passed, and who knows how long he has been staring - it enraptured him to the point where he couldn't hear footsteps approaching him.

Finally, the light blinked, before completely vanishing- leaving Loki with an ache in his heart. As if something had tugged its strings, and his trance was disrupted.

He slid against the golden steps of the bifrost, silently wishing that it would return.

The gatekeeper behind him grunted, acknowledging his presence," Your mother is waiting for you, she is worried sick. She wishes for you to come home now."

Loki begrudgingly stood, following Heimdall," What about Thor ?"

" He is there as well, in the palace, with your father."

He pinched his lips, giving one last glance at the sky. He debated on whether he should tell Heimdall about what he'd seen - yet from the looks of it, Heimdall was only itching to go back to work.

That night, as Loki dined with his family, his thoughts were lost amongst the stars. Hands limply gripping his spoon and fork as his appetite died, eyes glued against the golden walls - the chatter amongst his mother and father dying out with the sound of the cackling fire.

It was only when Thor exclaimed did he regained his senses," Father, Mother ! Did you know, that there are rumors around the city, about one of Valhalla's stars raining from the sky. If it is true that it shall show tonight, I wish to see it!"

Loki silently raised his brow, leaning in to listen to their conversation from across the table.

" Do not believe in such fairytales," his father scoffed," Shooting stars are nothing but mere meteors passing by. A tale about hope told only to hopeless children. So do not think much about it."

He took a gulp from his chalice, and Loki slid his gaze towards his mother - whose smile died down as the All Father answered Thor. In his seat Thor shifted his eyes towards ground, feeling ashamed for asking," Yes father," the excitement in his voice dissevered, "Just, tales."

" Yes," Odin chuckled," Nothing to get your hopes up, what can one measly star bring possibly bring us, my son?"

Loki shrunk back against his seat, chewing the inside of his cheek. He avoided the All Father's gaze.

Loki hoped out of his chair, shuffling towards his mother. He tugged the edge of her skirt, asking permission to be excused from the table.

His mother patted his hair, giving him a sad smile," Do you want me to read you some stories before you go to bed ?"

" No, not tonight mother," he murmured, before proceeding to climb up the steps towards his chambers.

He didn't bother to look back when laughter boomed under him, and he locked the golden doors of his chambers, sliding down against it.

He rested his head against the cool surface, eyes fixed against the night sky. The height of his window allowed him to see the stretch of nebula above, and the white curtains gently rustled with the breeze.

He fluttered his eyes shut, and without knowing , the young prince drifted to sleep - and in his dreams he was greeted with the sound of gushing water and chirping birds.

━━━━━━━━━━━

A luminous blue ball zipped past the twinkle of stars - just like a rocket it only last for seconds, yet on a frosty night,it slowed down just for the winter.

Makoto wiped her face against her sleeves, blinking through her array of tears as she watched it elegantly drift through the clouds.

Her eyes widened, and she turned rigid - body unmoving as the sight bewitched her, and her body slumped onto the pile of snow.

It was brilliant - and she haven't felt this thrilled ever since her grandfather took her to see the fireworks. Even that couldn't compare to this.

She couldn't tell how long she has been there, her fingers were numb , and she couldn't feel her cheeks. A stinging sensation slowly nipped its way above her arms, and the cold was starting to make its way under her coat.

Yet she remained there, only when it starts to flicker did she realize that she couldn't feel her legs. When it disappears, she could fully comprehend how cold it was, and she huddled her legs against her chest for warmth.

She laid above the icy surface, her fingers reaching out to nimbly stroke the side of the gravestone - feeling the way its concrete grazed her fingers. She wanted to sob, yet it was lodged up inside her throat - frozen,like the branches of the pine trees cascading above her.

" お爺さん...."
Ojīsan
[ Grandfather...]

Her vision blurred, and she sighed in relief when she saw a familiar figure approach her - and she could hear the crunching of his boots closing in.

He hovered over her, shaking his head. He muttered something incoherent, before lifting her up in his arms. His brows creasing with worry.

" それは大丈夫です、私はここにいます "
Sore wa daijōbudesu, watashi wa koko ni imasu
[ It's okay , I'm here]

" ....I'm sorry."

Her vision dimmed, the world around her turned dark. She couldn't tell if she was dreaming or not- but her vision stirred back to life, and she was surrounded with the warmth of the sunlight.

Accompanied by the sound of water gently slapping against the riverbanks.

━━━━━━━━━━━

DON'T BE A GHOST READER

COMMENT + REVIEW + FEEDBACKS
ARE WELCOME & APPRECIATED !!