VIII. STAR CROSSED LOVERS

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑star crossed lovers !┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━
star crossed lovers !
┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

" Makoto, wake up!"

Makoto lurched forward, a guttural scream was ripped out of her throat. With her eyes still screwed shut she sobbed, her cries muffled by the shoulder of the silhouette hugging her, steadying her as her body convulsed violently. The pale light of the moon encased the room, filtering through the window. It loomed over the starless sky, echoing around the dark of the night.

" Makoto, Makoto listen to me," It whispered, tightening its grip on her frame," You were dreaming, it was a dream."

Makoto slumped against it, exhaustion overcoming her body as sweat glistened against her skin. Her nightgown clinging onto her body, her hair sticking against her nape.

"Breathe," It reminded her, crooning gently as it cradled her,"Open your eyes."

The girl shook her head vigorously, eyes still screwed shut, but tears were already making its way down her pale cheeks. They listened to the light chirping of crickets outside the windows, waiting for her to recover from her shock.

" They were hurting him, I could feel it," She silently cried, trembling fingers curling tighter around the man before her," I could feel him. He's hurt and I couldn't do anything about it."

She pulled away, to gaze up to the solemn face of her uncle. In the moonlight, she could see the wrinkles lining against his forehead, the one etched against the corners of his eyes. He gave her a forlorn look, pity flashing against his glossy eyes.

They looked heavy, either with the lack of sleep or the weight of the world, Makoto could never tell. But they always held a sense of comfort, it assured her that everything was going to be alright.

It made her feel safe.

" Who was being hurt Makoto?" Her uncle asked, tracing circles above her hands.

She looked past him, scanning her eyes over the map plastered against the wall of her study. Red strings crossing one another to connect to pictures of ensign Rosen bridges, falling stars, news headlines of alien sightings. A sticky note with agent Coulson's phone number taped on the right corner and flashes of what happened in New Mexico came back to her like a flood.

She remembered meeting him in her dreams, she remembered his smile, the rain, her grandfather's grave. Then the next morning Coulson had called, calling her in. A man had broken inside the facility, and when he held the hammer in his hands she instantly knew who he was.

She had tried to chase after the blond, but he was dragged away. She could recall calling out his name, as SHIELD agents held her back. Her cries were muffled by the thunderstorm, and right before her eyes the brother of the man she had been searching for her whole life vanished.